Monday 28 May 2012

Sneak Peeks & Author Interview: Victoria Fox - Temptation Island

There are lots of fab books out this summer which would be perfect holiday reading but the one on the top of my list is Temptation Island by Victoria Fox.  It's officially due out this Friday but Amazon are already sending out copies early ;0)

Welcome to Paradise. Only the rich are invited...only the strongest survive. But is it heaven on earth or a devil s playground? Fame. Money. Success. Lori wants them Aurora is being destroyed by them, and Stevie s got them at her best friends expense. These three women are all drawn unwittingly to the shores of Temptation Island, all looking for their own truth. But they discover a secret so shocking there s no turning back. It s wicked, it s sensational. Are you ready to be told? The island promises the one thing money can t buy - but the glittering waters drown dark secrets... The price is devastating.

I loved her debut novel Hollywood Sinners last year, and this one sounds like it's going to be even racier so I was delighted to be able to ask her a few questions about her writing and her inspiration for this book.

How long did it take to get your first book published?
I began writing my debut while I had a job in publishing, so was lucky to have a hold on how the industry worked. In July 2009 I sent a partial manuscript (about 30,000 words) anonymously to agents and amazingly one agreed to represent me. In September of that year I resigned, finished the book, and four months later we had a deal. Every publisher except one rejected Hollywood Sinners so I felt extremely fortunate to be signing a contract. Quitting a job in the middle of a recession was certainly the motivation I needed to get the novel written and out there.

Do you have a set daily writing routine?
I try to work nine to five, Monday to Friday, because I want to have normal out of office hours. It doesn’t always happen that way because creativity comes in fits and starts: some days I’ll sit in front of a blank screen for seven hours, others I’ll splurge three thousand words before lunch. I’ll get up early because I’m most productive in the mornings, visit the gym at lunch to avoid that early afternoon slump then close the laptop when my boyfriend gets in from work. That’s the idea, anyway!

If you could write another style of genre, what would it be and why?
I’d love to write a ghost story, something really spooky and atmospheric. The Woman in Black is superb, and I recently enjoyed Dark Matter by Michelle Paver. Having a go at one myself would be a big challenge.

If you could give one piece of advice to an aspiring author, what would it be?
Write every day. Even if you produce material you’re not 100% happy with, it doesn’t matter – the important thing is to get into a rhythm. Most of what you put down will be changed on a later draft anyway so try not to be precious, just keep going, a little at a time, and don’t stop until you reach the end. Once you have an entire manuscript, at whatever standard, it can be shaped, shown and worked on.
  
You've been described as the 'new Jackie Collins', how does that make you feel?
Amazing. Jackie is queen of the bonkbuster so even to be mentioned in the same sentence is surreal. I’ve adored her books since I was thirteen.

Can you tell us about how you came up with the idea for Temptation Island, I've read that it was based on Necker Island, have you ever been there? 
Inspiration comes from bits and pieces I read in the press or celebrity headlines that catch my eye. Temptation Island sprang from an idea I had about a super-famous Hollywood family, but the scandal uncovered in the book is so shocking that I couldn’t say which! It’s not based on Necker Island (I’d be in deep water if I said it was) but the idea of a luxury celeb island getaway could encourage comparisons. Sadly I’ve never been to Necker, but maybe one day . . . I’d definitely be safer there than on Temptation Island!
Who was your favourite character in the book and why?
Aurora’s my favourite. At the start of the novel she’s a fifteen-year-old starlet, horribly spoiled, her reckless hedonism fired by bravado and attitude and not quite knowing who she is yet, but despite her charmed life she’s always felt that something is missing. I’m fascinated by how kids in Hollywood survive the pressures. If you’re born into that world, if you never chose it yourself, how do you come to terms with it? It’s easy to say that these LA starlets have everything, but I imagine it can be a difficult cross to bear.  

If you could have either of your books made into a film, which one would you choose and why?  Who would you cast in the leading roles? 
I’d choose Temptation Island because I’d love to drop in on the beach location shoot! My favourite actors at the moment are Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone and Amanda Seyfried; also ChloĆ« Moretz is a great young actress. Maybe I’d hire Leo DiCaprio as well to hang about with his shirt off and bring me cocktails.

Can you describe Temptation Island in 20 words or less? 
A sexy, glitzy, sensational beach read that sizzles with celebrity secrets!

Are you able to give us a hint about what your next novel is about?  And when is it likely to be published?
My next book is a glamorous revenge thriller set in the music industry. It’s set to hit shelves next summer, so watch this space . . . 

If the above is not enough of a teaser to get you to buy a copy of Temptation Island, Victoria has also recorded a promo video which can be watched here plus she has also written 3 short e-books, Rivals, Pride and Ambition

No comments:

Post a Comment