Thursday 7 March 2013

Irish Fiction Month Guest Review: Sheena Lambert - Alberta Clipper

Reviewed by Ceri Kehoe

Christine Grogan is a beautiful 28-year-old meteorologist with a loving family, great friends and an exciting career working for an international investment bank. So why does she spend every January 20th crying like her heart might break? As everyone around her appears to be moving on with their lives, Christine wears her past like a pair of concrete shoes. Can nothing, or nobody help her shake them? 

Mark Harrington thought he had all he ever wanted. Head of the bank's Irish operations, he has the career, the house and the relationship any 39-year-old would wish for. But when his seemingly perfectly-planned life suddenly strays totally off course, Mark is confronted with the fact that he isn't actually in control at all... 

...and that he is crazy in love with Christine. 

Insider trading, rambunctious Christmas parties, overnight conferences, the modern office environment has it all. But it can also be the stage for a simple, modern love story. ALBERTA CLIPPER is that story. The story of two people, each floundering in their own lives, who might just be able to save one another.


This story follows Christine Grogan and Mark Harrington. They both work for CarltonWachs Irish branch of the world famous bank. Christine is a meteorologist and Mark is the chief executive.

Christine has just started a new relationship with Gavan who she met on a blind date through her best friend Emily. What is it about 20th January that makes her so unhappy?


Mark has been in a relationship with Jennifer for 10 years but when he mentions having children she goes to Edinburgh to work for a year teaching English Lit at a University. He realises he's madly in love with Christine but can her reach out to her?


The first thing I want to mention about this book is the cover, I'm really not fussy on the cover despite it having a connection with the story. I personally feel that the cover could have been a lot different, it would have attracted me straight away. Luckily I live by the old adage 'Never judge a book by it's cover' and I'm glad I do as I would have missed out on a right gem of a book here.


I found myself getting heavily involved with the story, the raw emotion really did shine through the pages. The characters were well drawn and I found myself really caring about them, especially Christine and Mark who were fabulous main characters.


The story was good and while I did guess correctly at what the main point was, there was a twist towards the end which I hadn't expected so even though I had guessed it didn't spoil it for me.

I recommend this book and will certainly look out for more by this author. I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment