Sunday 30 June 2013

Crime Fiction Week: What we love about Crime Fiction...

When I decided to run this crime fiction feature week I honestly did not expect the response that I received, from publishers and authors offering books for review and arranging interviews, and of course you the readers who have visited my blog and read the posts.  

This week some of the posts have had the most visitors of any post that I have written since the blog was set up a year ago so I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone who has contributed this week to make it such a success.

So for this final feature I put a shout out on Twitter and my blog FB page for contributions from other readers as to what they loved about crime fiction as I didn't want this just to be me blabbing on.  It could be what was the first book they read, their favourite crime book or series, favourite author, basically anything that was to do with crime fiction..  So here's what we all had to say...  


Me
I've always been a bookworm for as long as I can remember, I always had my head in a book often at times when I shouldn't have been i.e. when I should have been doing homework!!  I first started reading crime fiction in my late teens and infact that was predominantly what I read at that time in my life, I didn't start reading romance/women's fiction books until I was in my mid to late twenties.

I can't remember the first crime book I read but one of the first crime series I remember reading was the Kay Scarpetta books from Patricia Cornwell.  I loved the fact that series was based around around the forensic evidence of crimes which is why I love watching TV programmes like Silent Witness, CSI and Body of Proof.  But thinking about this series has made me realise how many books I have to catch up on as I think the last one that I read was The Last Precinct which was published in 2000!  

Another author whose books I devoured in the 1990's was Nancy Taylor Rosenberg, but again like Patricia Cornwell I have not read any of her newer books.  So again I have some catching up to do as she has a new series featuring a new character Carolyn Sullivan that I've not read at all plus a couple of new books featuring Lily Forrester.        

In recent years I would say that Karen Rose, Lisa Gardner and Nicci French are the crime fiction authors whose books I have bought the most, although some of these books are still sat in my TBR pile!!

Doing this feature week has reignited my passion for crime fiction and my aim is to now try and read at least 1 or 2  crime books in amongst the books I get sent to review.  

Liz Wilkins from Liz Loves Books
I honestly can't remember my FIRST crime novel but I DO remember very well the book that sent me headlong back into a love for the genre. That was "Fallen Idols" by Neil White. Picked it up on a whim one day, LOVED it and from then on, picked up every crime fiction novel that looked even vaguely interesting. And of course I wrote to Neil to tell him I loved it and now I have a very good reader/author relationship with him. And I love all the books he has done since! 

Claire Prins
I remember as a kid going to the library every two weeks to pick out new books, used to love going there and dreaming of having my own private library when I had my own home. At school it was compulsary to read certain books and put me off reading for pleasure for a while. Then my mother gave me the Flowers In The Attic series and I found myself enjoying reading again. I cant remember all the books that I have read over the last 30 years but I can remember the first time I read a James Herbert book. I loved the thrill, the 'horror' in his stories, it was all so real. But the first crime book, cant remember that at all. I know I looked for books that were not all about finding the right man and living happy ever after. There had to be more to life than that.

I loved crime on telly, maybe because my imagination couldn't run away with me, lol. Watched the oldies, Starsky and Hutch, Cagney and Lacey and love the CSI ones. In books I have read Tess Gerritsen, Tana French and Casey Hill. Mary Higgins Clark, but wasn't too fond of her. There are a few dutch ones too but they have not been translated, as far as I know into english, pity because some were really great. I'm reading a Paul Pilkington one at the mo and it is great.on the kindle I have Barbara Taylor Sissel, although suspense, not sure they are crime, same with Jodi Picoult, there is also a touch of crime in her books. Which makes me wonder what makes a crime book a crime book? 


Stephanie Rothwell
Though I read a whole range of book I always go back to crime fiction. The first adult crime books I read were anything by Agatha Christie, Poirot being my favourite. I loved everything about them and was down at my local library every week. They are probably the only crime books I reread and watched on the TV despite knowing the story.

From there I read Colin Dexter, Val McDermid, and so many more. I love series books but also stand alones


Laura from Laura's Book Reviews

I had never ever read any kind of crime fiction before until I picked up Too Close To Home by Linwood Barclay in The Works for £1.99. I was really intrigued by the blurb and tag line but was slightly anxious to start reading a new genre. I was worried I would be really scared and end up having major nightmares! However, it was the total opposite. As soon as I started reading I was gripped and I couldn't put the book down. I finished it in a few hours. After I had turned the final page I knew I needed to read his other books and I quickly ordered them all from Amazon! Ever since finding Linwood's book in The Works, I have been absolutely addicted to his writing and wait with genuine impatience for his next book to be released. Trust Your Eyes, released last year was outstanding and I am lucky enough to have an ARC of his newest one called A Tap On The Window. I cannot wait to finish and review it! If you have never read any crime fiction before then I would seriously recommend you try out Linwood today. You won't be disappointed!

Katrina Duncan
My favourite crime book is Mark Billingham - Rush of Blood. It had me gripped from the first page and had me guessing till the end, and even when I thought I'd sussed it all out It pulled the rug from under my feet and took me on another twist!  

Victoria L. Petty Nawrath  
The first crime author I read was Lawrence Block, specifically his 'Matthew Scudder series". To date my favorite crime author series is a toss up between Jo Nesbo's 'Harry Hole' and John Connolly's' 'Charlie Parker'. I have to throw out there that Reginald Hill's "The Woodcutter" is brillant

Any future feature week has a lot to live up to so I'll have to get my thinking caps on as to what the next one should be which I've provisionally pencilled in for September as I have a week off then!  Any suggestions as to what this feature week should be?

No comments:

Post a Comment