Monday 2 September 2013

Books Read: Elin Hildebrand - Summerland

A warm June evening, a local tradition: the students of Nantucket High have gathered for a bonfire on the beach. But what begins as a graduation night celebration ends in tragedy when Penny Alistair's car crashes, leaving her dead and her twin brother in a coma. The other passengers, Penny's boyfriend Jake and her friend Demeter, are physically unhurt - but the emotional damage is overwhelming.

As summer unfolds, details of that devastating night continue to surface. Questions linger about what happened before Penny took the wheel, and startling truths emerge about the survivors and their parents: revelations of secrets kept, promises broken . . . and hearts betrayed.



Amazon links: Paperback or Kindle

I've only read one book by Elin Hilderband before so when I received a review copy of her latest book Summerland I couldn't wait to get stuck in to see what I thought about it but as I had received so many books in recent months it has taken me a little while to get around to it.

A night at a beach graduation party should be one of the happiest nights of their lives but for four teenagers it ends in a horrific way after a car crash leaves one of them dead, one in a coma and the other two struggling to come to terms with what happened.  

As the weeks unfold we discover little snippets from the different characters, the teenagers and their parents, which help piece together the events which lead up to the fateful crash which has affected so many lives. 

If from the cover you're expecting a light beach read then you're in for a shock as it's definitely not that, it's a story full of emotion, survivor guilt and deeply hidden secrets.  About a third of the way in I found myself unable to tear myself away from the book as I just had to discover the truth behind the accident which led to a very late night of reading.

This book was totally different from the previous book I'd read which I also enjoyed so I'll definitely be interested in reading more of her books in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment