Sunday 20 October 2013

Books Read: Hilary Boyd - When You Walked Back Into My Life

For eight years Flora's love affair with Fin was a whirlwind of fun and spontaneity - but when Flora wanted to settle down and have children, Fin vanished.

Life moved on and Flora's world filled with other people, other cares. There were benefits to being single - no socks under the bed, no mess in the bathroom - even if the memory of Fin could never be completely erased.


But then suddenly, shockingly, Fin reappears. He's a changed man, he says, and her wants her back.


Is this a chance to put right the wrongs? Or a massive mistake?



Amazon links: Paperback or Kindle 

I'd not read any books by Hilary Boyd before so when a copy of When You Walked Back into My Life arrived out of the blue I was hoping to discover a new author to add to my ever growing list of authors whose books to look out for.

Flora had high hopes for having a family with boyfriend Fin but her life doesn't quite turned out the way that she'd planned after the sudden disappearance of Fin sends her into a spiral of depression.

Three years later she's rebuilt a completely different life for herself having moved into the basement flat of her sister Prue's house and doing private nursing looking after a dying woman Dorothea.  But a chance meeting with Fin, who tells her he wants her back, turns her world upside down and forces her to consider whether she's ready to forgive him and accept him back into her life.

I could completely relate to Flora being of a similar age to her, a forty-something, and someone who had hoped to have children so could understand how she'd be willing to forgive and forget to find happiness again although not quite sure I'd have been so forgiving!

Although the Flora/Fin story is the main emphasis of this book I actually preferred reading more about Dorothea, my favourite character in the book, and what was going on in her life and commend the author for tackling the sensitive topic of elderly care and their vulnerability to be taken advantage of.  

Having enjoyed this book I'll definitely be adding her previous two books, Thursdays in the Park and Tangled Lives, to my wishlist to read one day when I ever have the time! 

I'd like to thank Margot at Quercus for sending me a copy of the book to review.  

No comments:

Post a Comment