Tuesday 29 October 2013

Books Read: Melissa Bailey - The Medici Mirror

'I have heard, but not believed, the spirits of the dead may walk again.'

A hidden room

When architect Johnny Carter is asked to redesign a long-abandoned Victorian shoe factory, he discovers a hidden room deep in the basement. A dark, sinister room, which contains a sixteenth-century Venetian mirror. 

A love in danger 

Johnny has a new love, Ophelia, in his life. But as the pair's relationship develops and they begin to explore the mystery surrounding the mirror, its malign influence threatens to envelop and destroy them. 

A secret history 

The mirror's heritage dates back to the sixteenth century, and the figure of Catherine de Medici - betrayed wife, practitioner of the occult, and known as the Black Queen.


 Amazon links: Kindle or Paperback 

I really didn't know what to expect from The Medici Mirror when I was sent a copy to review as it's not a book I would have personally chosen to review based on the cover and book blurb.

When architect Johnny takes on the mammoth task of redesigning an old abandoned Victorian shoe factory, little does he know that he'll soon find himself caught up in the midst of an old mystery that takes over his life and threatens his livelihood and his new relationship.

His colleague soon discovers a hidden room in the basement which appears to hold a lot of deeply hidden secrets and the key to uncovering the truth seems to be the dark Venetian mirror, dating back to to the sixteenth century, which once belonged to the Black Queen Catherine De Medici.

This was quite a dark story which covered topics including jealousy, revenge and death, and was a fusion between the past and the present, so had good promise but I have to admit I did struggle with reading this but I am glad that I persevered to the end to finally discover the mystery behind the mirror and exactly what did happen in that basement room all those years ago...  

Personally I would have liked a little more of the back story behind the mirror and how it came to end up in the shoe factory leading up to the modern day which might have helped to blend the storylines a little bit more as it quite often felt a little disjointed.  

Although this book was not really my cup of tea I'm sure there will be plenty of readers out there who would love it.

I'd like to thank Arrow Publishing for sending me a copy of this book to review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment