Sunday 3 November 2013

Guest Book Review: A.S.A Harrison - The Silent Wife

Reviewed by Janine Cobain

​​​A chilling psychological thriller portraying the disintegration of a relationship down to the deadliest point when murdering your husband suddenly makes perfect sense. 

Todd Gilbert and Jodi Brett are in a bad place in their relationship. They've been together for twenty-eight years, and with no children to worry about there has been little to disrupt their affluent Chicago lifestyle. But there has also been little to hold it together, and beneath the surface lie ever-widening cracks. HE is a committed cheater. SHE lives and breathes denial. HE exists in dual worlds. SHE likes to settle scores. HE decides to play for keeps. SHE has nothing left to lose. When it becomes clear that their precarious world could disintegrate at any moment, Jodi knows she stands to lose everything. It's only now she will discover just how much she's truly capable of...


Amazon links: Kindle or Paperback

​In a lifetime of reading there are a handful of books that have become memorable, either through the subject, the writing style or for their ability to inspire; Z for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien read when I was 12 and the thought of being the last person on earth blew my mind, Tara Road which introduced me to the wonderful writing of Maeve Binchy,  The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold for its incredible writing style and Volunteer by Gary McElkerney (watch out for the release of this one later this month!) which made me question everything about my life and my achievements and inspired me to be more.  

The Silent Wife is added to this list for several reasons; firstly the style of writing - the story has a fast-paced feel as if the drama is unfolding before you and you are reading a real-time commentary on the action.  This book was not only a breathtaking read it will change the way I write. 

The language is informative. Intelligent and insightful, lines that make you stop reading and just think about the message in the words. "Other people are not here to fulfill our needs or meet our expectations, nor will they always treat us well." It took me 30 plus years to learn that! This novel offers so many insights into human nature at its best and worse it should be compulsory curriculum reading!
 
Lastly, the reason this book will be memorable and indeed the reason I chose it initially from Sharon's TBR pile is that A.S.A. Harrison died earlier this year before seeing her novel published. This for me personally is desperately sad. Having spent the last few months working with a debut author I know just how much hard work, heart and soul goes in to getting an offer to publish; the trepidation and anticipation of the process and the almost unbearable excitement waiting impatiently for publication day. I understand from reading an article that she knew the publication rights had been sold outside her native Canada across the world and that gave her an indicator of how successful her first fiction book would be and I get some comfort from that, but I do lament that she never got to hold her published novel or see it on the shelves of her local bookstore. 

If you only buy one book this year you should seriously consider making it this one. If you can't afford to buy it press your local library to borrow it or if you've been good girls and boys this year then ask Santa for it; do whatever it takes but read it!

I'd like to thank Ben at Headline for sending me a proof copy of this book to review and Janine for reviewing it for me. 

1 comment:

  1. Great review, I really want to read this book now.

    ReplyDelete