Saturday 22 February 2014

Books Read: Clodagh Murphy - Some Girls Do

Claire Kennedy is NiceGirl, the anonymous author of steamy online blog 'Scenes of a Sexual Nature'. An internet sensation, she attracts the attention of Mark Bell, a hot London publisher. But when it becomes clear that Mark is interested in more than just a book deal, Claire has to act fast. Because little does Mark know that NiceGirl is a lot more experienced in the bedroom than real-life Claire Kennedy. 

Mark is offering Claire the life she's always dreamed of - a steady relationship, the literary world of London and a posh Highgate apartment. 


But when Claire hires the services of struggling artist and commitment-phobe Luca to brush up on her sex skills, things get more complicated... 


Great sex, friendship AND love ... can't a girl have it all?



Amazon links: Kindle or Trade Paperback

Before I started reading Some Girls Do I downloaded Clodagh Murphy's novella Scenes of a Sexual Nature which first introduces us to Claire and the setting up of her sex blog, and although you don't need to read this novella first before reading this book I'm glad I did. 

Claire Kennedy returned home to Dublin to take care of her mum when she was ill and since then has been working in a book shop but her ultimate dream is to write a book.  At the same time as NiceGirl she has acquired a huge online following to her blog where she writes about her fictional sex life.

But panic sets in when Mark, a publisher she's been flirting with online, offers her a book deal and says he'd like to meet in person and it's more than a book deal that he's interested in.  So she sets out to get more sexual experience by offering struggling artist Luca, a friend of her colleague's who she met in a bar, money for him to teach her some skills on a no-strings attached basis...

I really liked Claire right from the off, she was a people pleaser who would do anything for anyone, even if there were others who could help out like her useless brothers and their families. It was fun to see her confidence blossom as she gained more experience.

And as for Luca... all I can say is that I wish I had met someone like him when I was a lot younger!

Clodagh has certainly written a pretty raunchy novel but she's managed to get the balance just right between romance and sex without it being too smutty.  I actually enjoyed reading the little snippets from NiceGirl's blog which made me laugh out loud on occasions as to what I was actually reading... I think I've led a very sheltered life!!

I really enjoyed the premise of the storyline about someone having a different online personna to that of their everyday life as I'm sure this happens a lot, I know I'm definitely a lot more chatty online than if I was to meet a stranger in real life.

Overall Some Girls Do is a thoroughly entertaining read and I cannot wait to read what Clodagh has in store for us next.

I'd like to thank Clodagh and Hachette Ireland for sending me a copy of this book to review.  

No comments:

Post a Comment