Sunday 13 April 2014

Reader Spotlight: Ella Pocock


When I was planning my Reader Spotlight feature I was hoping to connect with anyone who loves reading, it didn't have to be fellow bloggers.  So I was delighted when Ella Pocock, who works in the publishing industry, contacted me and asked if she could take part especially as I was already in the process of planning a feature week for her employers, Quercus Books, so it fitted in perfectly with the feature week and the regular feature.  

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I work in marketing at Quercus Books, a UK book publisher and live in London. I have always loved books and the adventures that they can take you on and the conversations they can start. Publishing is an industry I am incredibly passionate about and I’m very pleased to be part of it. In my spare time I play netball, write poetry and I am enjoying exploring London with friends and my boyfriend. 

Have you always been a bookworm? 
For as long as I can remember! When I was younger bedtime stories with my parents and sibilings was a much-loved part of my day. I think my dad can still recite Watership Down off by heart even now! I loved English at school (I hold fond memories for Educating Rita) and studied it at University and was very lucky to end up in my dream job, working in a publishing house. On average I read 2/3 books a week.

Do you have a favourite author?
Tough question! Can I choose two? Agatha Christie. I am a huge fan of her and her novels. What a woman! I own every Linwood Barclay book that’s been published and think he crime fantastic crime fiction. I interviewed Linwood for my university dissertation back in 2008. I was so excited and honoured that he took the time to speak to me and that has always stuck with me. 

What is your all-time favourite book that you love to read time and time again?
To Kill a Mockingbird. I know it’s an obvious choice but it’s a classic for a reason and I fall in love with the characters all over again every time I read it.

Do you have a preferred genre that you mainly read, or are you open to read almost anything?
I am open to most things but I particularly enjoy crime fiction. Due to the nature of my job there are always books from a variety of genres including literary fiction, translated fiction, children’s and sci-fi fantasy on my reading pile. I wouldn’t want to close myself off to any genre. 

What book is top of your current wishlist?
The New Agatha Christie Hercule Poirot Mystery by Sophie Hannah publishing later this year. I can’t wait to get my hands on a copy! I am renowned amongst family and friends for being a huge Poirot fan. I got a personalised signed copy of Poirot and Me by David Suchet for Christmas, I got glassy-eyed when I opened it much to the amusement of my sister. 

Physical books or eBooks, what’s your preference?
I read both but physical books will always hold a special place in my heart!

What was the last book you read that made you cry?
Wonder by R. J. Palacio. The tears wouldn’t stop coming! It was an incredibly moving and powerful book that I would like to see on every schools reading list. It has the ability to offer so many things to a reader and taught me a lot. 

If you were going to be stuck on a desert island and could only take 3 books with you, which ones would you choose?
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, To Kill a Mockingbird and The Help

What book would you like to see made into a film and who would you cast for the central characters? 
I think The Rosie Project has plenty to offer for a film. I think rights may have already been sold. It reminded me of Silver Linings Playbook. The author Graeme Simison won’t answer who he would like to play Don so that he doesn’t influence the imagination of future readers. I can’t decide on Don but I think Amy Adams would play Rosie well. 

Thank you for taking part x

No comments:

Post a Comment