Sunday 4 May 2014

Reader Spotlight: Lindsay Hill


Today's debut spotlight guest is fellow blogger Lindsay Hill who's popped by to talk about her love of books.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
Hi, I’m Lindsay and I’m a book review blogger based near the Ironbridge Gorge in Shropshire, England. I work full time so I cram in as much reading and blogging as I can in the evenings and weekends. I started blogging upon a friend’s suggestion about 18 months ago and have never looked back really. I can’t believe I’d never thought of it myself and there’s such a massive blog community out there that I never knew existed and would have missed out on.

When I’m not reading I love going to the movies, Costa coffee for girly chats and watching detective, murder mysteries and legal programmes on TV such as Sherlock, Jonathan Creek and The Good Wife.

Have you always been a bookworm? 
I’ve always been a reader; I can remember reading Nancy Drew, anything by Judy Blume, Sweet Valley High when I was young and then as I got into my mid to late teens I started reading my mum’s Danielle Steel novels.

I’m showing my age now but I can remember the author Nina Bawden visiting my middle school where she autographed a book for me. Unfortunately I’ve no longer got the book. I’ve moved on since then and now my favourite author of all time is John Grisham. I know I’m going to pick up one of his books, fly through it and love it. My favourite genres are legal dramas and psychological thrillers but I do get through a fair bit of chick lit as well.

What is your all-time favourite book that you love to read time and time again?
That’s To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I first read this in secondary school and have read it several times since. It’s a modern day classic!

What book is top of your current wishlist?
As a massive John Grisham fan I can’t believe I still haven’t bought the sequel to A Time to Kill called Sycamore Row that came out in October – my bad!!

Physical books or eBooks, what’s your preference?
I try and avoid hardcovers wherever possible. As I read a lot in bed I find them to be heavy and cumbersome; they also cost more money and take up too much room.

I’ve had my Kindle Paperwhite for less than a year as I was determined not to have one but I felt I was missing out on giveaways and review copies once I’d become established with the blogging so bought one. I still buy paperbacks a lot and like to receive them as gifts so I’m probably 50/50 with the paperbacks and Kindle. You can’t beat the feel and smell of a new book.

What was the last book you read that made you cry?
I’ve not long read The Fault in our Stars by John Green. If you’ve not heard of it it’s a YA novel about two teenagers with cancer. It’s incredibly moving and I did shed a little tear.

If you were going to be stuck on a desert island and could only take 3 books with you, which ones would you choose?
I’d have my copy of To Kill a Mockingbird as it’s my favourite, Me Before You by JoJo Moyes because it’s a great book and probably Jodi Picoult’s The Storyteller because it’s the last book that made me think wow (and it’s huge so it’ll keep me occupied!).

What book would you like to see made into a film and who would you cast for the central characters? 
This is a tough question, because do you pick a book and actors that everyone will know or 
something everyone has heard of! I think I’ll go for The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion, it’s been a very popular read over the past year and we even discussed who would play the characters at book club. The main character Don Tillman is a geneticist geek and I picked Benedict Cumberbatch to play him. He’s probably a little young but he has the perfect profile for Don. And for Rosie, who is a little querky and unconventional I’d go for a young Helena Bonham-Carter. I can’t think of anyone like her in their early thirties.

My links

Twitter: @bookboodle

Facebook: Bookboodle/433922013364299 

Blog: http://bookboodle.co.uk

Thanks for taking part Lindsay x

1 comment:

  1. Great interview, To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all time favourites too.

    ReplyDelete