Thursday 9 October 2014

Guest Book Review: Shelan Rodger - Twin Truths

Reviewed by Janine Cobain

Jenny and Pippa are twins. Like many twins they often know what the other is thinking. They complete each other. When one of the twins disappears the other woman is left to face the world alone as she tries to find out what happened to her "other half". Vividly set in Argentina, Brazil, Greece and the UK, Shelan Rodger's stunning debut is a beautiful examination of identity and how much this is moulded by our relationships with others.

Amazon links: Kindle or Paperback

Twin Truths is deep – and sometimes dark – tale, written with skill to intrigue the reader, and draw you in. It is very difficult to offer a review without spoiling the plot, but through the story you get to know the characters of Jenny and Pippa, and see how events from the past that have influenced, and moulded, their adult personas. You meet their friends, lovers, and those offering professional help, and all are well formed urbanites who add to the story. However, as you get deeper into this three-sectioned story, you can feel there’s a twist brewing, and find yourself second guessing it – I was almost right! 

The first twist is powerful, and things begin to cascade into place. However, the second twist seriously vexed me. It felt too contrived; almost as if the topic was an interest of the authors, and they’d popped it into the end to highlight it, but - to me - it felt out of place. 

I read this book a few months ago, and have waited to write the review because I didn’t want my annoyance over the ending to taint what is a beautifully crafted, engaging story, and one that I would recommend you read, but, personally; I felt cheated by the ending!

I'd like to thank Cutting Edge Press for sending me a copy of this book, and Janine for reviewing it for me for the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment