Sunday 30 November 2014

Books Read: Rachael English - Each & Every One

Your family are always there for you...aren't they? 

For Tara, Vee, Niall and Damian, the children of the Shine family, their parents have seen them through thick and thin. In fact, Gus and Joan's lifetime of hard work has given their children the luxuries they never had when they were growing up - a comfortable home in a leafy Dublin neighbourhood, gap years that never seem to end and an open chequebook for life's little emergencies. Unfortunately, although the children have grown up, they have got a little too comfortable with the well-feathered nest: now it's time to learn a few home truths. 

When a twist of fate means the bank of Mum and Dad can no longer bail out the younger generation, suddenly the whole family must find out who they really are - but sometimes the truth isn't easy to face. Uncovering the secrets they all hide will show them a different side to the city they call home and mean finding allies in the most unlikely places. 

 Amazon link: Kindle or Paperback

In Each & Every One we meet the Shine family, Gus and Joan, and their children Tara, Vee, Niall and Damian but when I say children I should say that they are all now adults and living their own lives.  But despite having flown the nest, and a couple of them even having families of their own, the bank of mum and dad is still being called on on a regular basis to top up their bank balances!

I have to admit that at first I didn't really like Vee, Damian or Niall as they didn't seem to live in the real world and accept that as adults they should be fending for themselves and not rely on their parents to supplement their lifestyle.

Tara was the only one that seemed to be normal and accept the news that mum and dad will not able to continue with the handouts and even though she had other issues to deal with she was prepared to make changes accordingly.  I also loved reading about her interactions with young Ben and his family who she met whilst following a news story for her job as a journalist,

As we see the family trying to adapt I have to admit to enjoying seeing the rest of them squirm as they have to accept that they need to take a look at their lives and admit to having a chuckle seeing Damian's embarrassment when he had to supplement his income by reluctantly taking a job working for his father-in-law.  And by the end of the book my opinions of Vee, Damian and Niall had changed and although I cannot say they were my favourites I could see that they had learnt a few life lessons along the way...

Overall I thought the concept for the storyline was an interesting one as in the current economic climate I'm sure most of us are in the position of having to tighten our belts... unless you have wealthy family you can call on which I definitely do not!

I received a copy of this eBook to review from the publisher via NetGalley.

1 comment:

  1. Lol after me saying to read it. I really enjoyed both her books x

    ReplyDelete