Sunday 7 December 2014

Guest Post: Tanya's Christmas Memories


Well when I volunteered to write a Christmas Post for Sharon I thought it would be easy but there are so many great Christmas’ to choose from.  Christmas for me means time spent with people I love, we play card games and board games together and of course over indulge in food.  We are also lucky/unlucky enough to celebrate many birthdays within 6 days of Christmas. 

Three Christmasses really stand out for me.  Two of them being the girls first Christmas with us in 2002 and 2005. I remember watching Sian (now 12) feeling her stocking at the end of her cot with the biggest smile on her face.  We were sat downstairs watching her on the TV monitor as we couldn’t sleep any longer and was so excited we got up to have a coffee and open our stockings to each other.  I am still like that now and hardly sleep Christmas Eve as I can’t wait to see the girls’ faces.

Then the year I was pregnant with Ffion in 2004 Sian made us hang a stocking for the baby and buy presents to put under the tree.  We were worried that I would have the baby just before Christmas as Sian was born three weeks early and I was due on 4th January.  So being prepared I went down the practical route and wrapped wipes, body grows and sleep suits mostly ones that belonged to Sian and put them in the spare stocking.  Sian also bought the baby a lovely musical toy, for under the tree that we still have.  On Christmas Eve just as she was going to bed Sian kissed my belly and told the baby to come out.   Christmas morning she wasn’t interested in her stocking but asked if the baby had come.  She looked so disappointed when we said no.  I remember her dragging both the stockings across the landing and showing the baby in the belly all the presents.  Christmas dinner that year was uncomfortable and of course Greg was on a ban from more than one glass of wine.  Thankfully she came out 5 days later which meant new years in hospital.

My most memorable presents as a child were a dolls house and a shop that my granddad made me.  We have now handed them down to the girls and they enjoy playing with them as much as I did.  Now of course anything the girls give me is treasured.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and don’t forget to say a prayer for those less fortunate.

1 comment: