Sunday 22 February 2015

Books Read: Colette McBeth - The Life I Left Behind

I’m the only one who knows the secrets her friends have hidden, the mistakes the police have made. I’m the only one who can warn her she’s still in danger. I know exactly who attacked her. He’s the same man who killed me.

Six years ago Melody was attacked and left for dead. She survived by burying her memories, confident that her attacker was convicted and imprisoned. Then the body of another woman, Eve, is discovered.


The women were strangers. But Eve knew all about Melody’s life. She has left behind her story, the clues that will force Melody to confront her own lies. The clues that will put her life in danger all over again.


Amazon links: Kindle or Trade PB

I still haven't read Colette McBeth's debut novel Precious Thing, despite reading amazing reviews for it, as it was reviewed as a guest review on the blog last year.  But when I first started hearing about her new novel The Life I Left Behind I knew it was one that I wanted to read sooner rather than later so downloaded a copy from NetGalley as soon as it was available, and having just finished reading I can definitely say I wasn't disappointed.

The story is told from the viewpoints of Melody, who had survived a horrific attack 6 years previously, and Eve, who had been investigating the circumstances of Melody's attack only to be killed herself at the hands of the killer trying to prevent her from revealing who it was.  Two very different characters who obviously had one thing in common... their attacks by the same person.  
At first I have to confess that I found myself struggling to connect with Melody as it didn't feel like she was doing anything to help herself come to terms with her attack but then again it's not as if it's something you can get over that easily.  But the more that I read as the storyline progressed, then the more I could understand why she was handling things the way she did and was pleased to see her taking positive steps to make changes. 

As for Eve, I love the concept of her story being told from beyond the grave. She initially got involved in investigating Melody's attack as she wanted to get justice for what she thought was a wrongful conviction but then obviously things took a horrific turn for her.    

As you're reading you meet so many credible suspects that get you thinking... is it him?... but then Colette expertly drops in another snippet that then gets you thinking... oh it's him... so that in the end you're suspecting everyone... a true whodunnit!  It was only towards the end that I finally stuck on who I thought it was and fortunately for me I was correct but even though I had guessed the killer it didn't spoil what was for me a very gripping read.     

Colette's writing had me hook, link and sinker and was a real page turner as I didn't want to stop reading until the truth had been revealed.  I LOVED this book and cannot wait to go back now and read Precious Thing at some point, and hear what Colette has in store for us with book 3... no pressure ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Such a great review, I can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great review of an absolute compulsive read, you need to read Precious Thing now!

    ReplyDelete