Tuesday 8 September 2015

Author Interview: Caroline Finnerty

Today it's my absolute pleasure to welcome author Caroline Finnerty back to the blog so that we can find out a little more about her latest book My Sister's Child which was published last month.

Can you tell us a little bit about your latest book My Sister's Child?  
My Sister's Child is the story of two sisters, and one huge question. Jo is the elder sister, responsible and hardworking. Isla is carefree and has always avoided being tied down. The sisters have always had a strained relationship, but when Isla asks Jo for something that rocks the very foundations of the family that Jo has worked so hard to have, she is horrified. And, as Isla persists in her pleas, Jo fears she will lose the one thing she holds most dearly. The story deals with the very finely-woven link between nature and nurture and I hope it will challenge the way you think about motherhood.

Where did the inspiration come from to write about infertility?
I was reading an article about donor-assisted conception and about how quite often it is a close family member who acts as the donor which must throw up a huge range of emotions for everyone involved. At the same time I also wanted to write a story about sisters - two sisters who are very different people and who had a strained relationship going back to their childhood and the story just grew from there.

How did you go about researching egg donation to enable you to write this story?  
I started off researching on the internet and reading the experiences of people who had been through it from both sides i.e. both the donor and also the recipient. Then I contacted the SIMS Fertlity Clinic here in Ireland and Dr. David Walsh kindly answered my questions in regards to the technicalities of donor-assisted reproduction and also the legalities associated with it.

Describe My Sister's Child in one sentence.
My Sister's Child is the story of two sisters and one embryo.

What are you currently working on?
I'm in the very early stages of planning my next book, which has the working title 'The Lies She Told'. It is the story of a man called Aidan who gets a call one day to say that his ex-wife, and mother of his two children, has died suddenly. Aidan is left to raise the children on his own but when he finds a letter belonging to his late wife, it has devastating consequences for everyone.

If you were given the opportunity which character from one of your previous books would you love to go back and revisit again?
Probably little Jack from 'Into The Night Sky' to see how his life turned out after he went to live with his Aunt. He was like my fourth child when I was writing that book.

What three essentials do you need to have to hand whilst writing? 
Can I have four? Laptop, coffee, chocolate and a notebook for scribbling ideas and plotting.

Do you set yourself a daily writing target?
I loosely aim for 1,000 words a day but I rarely reach it unless it's a good writing day and the words are flowing.

When you've finished writing/or published your novels, do you treat yourself to a reward? 
I always promise myself that I will but then when I get to the end or the book is published I'm usually too nervous waiting for feedback from my editor or waiting for reviews to come in, that I'm too supestitious to reward myself. I'm afraid I will jinx myself by celebrating. I know that probably sounds a bit crazy!

Thanks for having me Sharon! x

Website: www.carolinefinnerty.ie
Twitter: @cfinnertywriter
Facebook: carolinefinnertybooks

My Sister's Child is the story of two sisters, and one huge question. 

Jo is the elder sister, responsible and hardworking. Isla is carefree and has always avoided being tied down. The sisters have always had a strained relationship, but when Isla asks Jo for something that rocks the very foundations of the family that Jo has worked so hard to have, she is horrified. And, as Isla persists in her pleas, Jo fears she will lose the one thing she holds most dearly. 

Thought-provoking and compelling, this is a layered and moving story of sisterhood, love and lies and the finely-woven link between nature and nurture that will challenge the way you think about motherhood.

1 comment:

  1. Firstly, how lovely to find another Finnerty in the world! I hadn't heard of this author unfortunately, but after reading your interview a little book order may have to be made! Thanks,

    Ellie xx

    http://lovelaceandlilies.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete