Tuesday 28 February 2017

The Write Stuff with... Lorraine Wilson

Today it's my pleasure to hand the blog over to Chalet Girls author Lorraine Wilson for the latest The Write Stuff with... feature.

You can read all the writing craft books out there and plan your book meticulously but I believe you need more than that to craft a good story. At some point you have to let go of your plan and find an elusive spark of creativity - a kind of writing magic that makes the book come alive.

I think most authors know those magic times when the stories flow so quickly out of our mouths (if we're dictating) or fingers (if we're typing) that we can barely keep up. It's a wonderful feeling. Or that moment when a character surprises you by doing or saying something you really didn't expect and that definitely wasn't in your synopsis!

My latest book 'Chalet Girls' is quite different from the original pitch to my editors. One character's story thread took a very unexpected turn.

I can't explain it. A neuroscientist might be able to, in talking about the complexity of the brain but I prefer to call it magic.

That moment when a story grows wings is probably my second favourite thing about writing. My first favourite thing is when a reader contacts me or leaves a review to say they liked my book or it touched them in some way. I remain constantly grateful to be published and take great pleasure in knowing that the books I send out onto the world are picked up and read. I adore the Roald Dahl quote from 'Matilda', it captures it perfectly:

Roald Dahl, Matilda

What happens when life in Verbier suddenly goes off-piste?

Lucy’s been bowled over by the sexy extreme skier who’s hurtled into her life. But can she accept Seb’s commitment to his adrenaline-filled career?

Trusting any man is out of the question after what’s happened to Beth. So why is she so drawn to twinkly-eyed Dan when he’s leaving at the end of the season?

Sophie’s madly in love with her gorgeous fiancĂ©, Luc. Only instead of gleefully planning the winter wedding of her dreams, all she wants is to run and hide…

Three Chalet Girls are about to strap on their skis and find out!

http://bit.ly/2chaletgirls


CHALET GIRLS COMPETITION - enter to win this unique Indian patchwork handbag & signed paperback copies of 'Confessions of a Chalet Girl' and 'Secret Crush of a Chalet Girl' http://bit.ly/2kvcz82 


To keep up to date with new releases follow my author page on Facebook @LorraineWilsonWriter or find me on twitter @Romanceminx

Also you can check out my website www.lorraine-wilson.com or my story boards on Pinterest to see the inspiration behind my books http://pinterest.com/lorrainecwilson/

No comments:

Post a Comment