Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Books Read: Susan Buchanan - Sign of the Times

Source - Received e-book direct from author

Twelve people. Twelve star signs.

Sagittarius - Holly, a travel writer, visits Tuscany to research her next book. Seeking help when her car breaks down, she gets more than assistance when Dario, a vineyard owner, puts temptation in her path. Disappearing without explanation, he proves elusive. Bruised, Holly tries to put it behind her until a chance encounter brings her feelings to the surface again.

Capricorn – Holly’s fiancĂ©, Tom misses her while she is in Italy and turns to an internet chat room for solace. His construction business is under threat, but could foul play be at work?

Gemini - Holly’s sister, Lucy, a serial man-eater finally meets her match, which puts her long-term relationship and career in jeopardy. Cheating she discovers, can have devastating consequences.

Libra - Holly’s uncle Jack, an eminent prosecutor, juggles a difficult teenage son with his high profile career and finds himself lacking. When his son’s school work starts slipping, he decides he needs to take control, but it’s not long before the balls all come tumbling down and Jack finds his family on the wrong side of the law.

One event binds them all… 

I'm a late starter with regards to reading e-books as up to now I'd only read short stories on my Kindle, as I'm an old-fashioned girl at heart and love the feel of a book in my hands, but decided to give reading a full novel a go when Susan asked me if I'd like to review this book.

Although I'm not a follower of horoscopes I did like the sound of Sign of the Times with its different characters with characteristics of their star sign, something a little different to what I've read recently. 

The book begins with Holly, a travel writer, who has travelled to Tuscany to do research for her next book.  Soon we meet Holly's fiance Tom, Maggie, Jennifer and the rest of the characters and follow their stories which include lust, grief, disability amongst others.

I have to confess though I did wonder how would it work with so many different characters.  Would this weaken the story and make it too complicated to follow?  Would the characters be believable?  But I needn't have worried as there were small connections between them that linked all the storylines together.   

Overall I enjoyed this debut novel from Susan and will be interested to read subsequent novels from her to see how her writing develops. 

I'm not sure if I'm a convert to reading full novels on the Kindle yet but have purchased a couple of other free books so we'll see how I get on... If you'd like you read this book yourself, why not head over to Amazon and download a copy today.

1 comment:

  1. I have this book to review too, it's great to hear your thoughts on it, and also on reading a full book on your Kindle. I think I will still always prefer a paper book but I do enjoy reading on my Kindle now too.

    ReplyDelete