Friday 30 October 2015

My Favourite Book is... by Rebecca Pugh, Jo Hurst & Bernadette Maycock


Rebecca Pugh, author of Return to Bluebell Hill and blogger at Becca's Books 

First of all, I’d like to say a massive thank you to the fabulous Sharon for inviting me onto her lovely blog today, to chat about my favourite book. This is such a brilliant feature and I’m delighted to be joining in!

I came across one of my favourite books for the first time back in college. I was studying English Literature and we were handed a list of the titles we’d be needing during the course. Most were available in the college library, but back then, when studying, I liked having my own copies of the book available. So, I grabbed my list, hopped onto Amazon and grabbed the books I needed, ready to begin.

I can’t remember the full list of titles now, but I do know that alongside Brick Lane by Monica Ali (which was also brilliant by the way), there was a book called The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I’d never heard of it until then, never even been aware of its existence, and in my ridiculous young-way, I wasn’t too impressed by the cover either. Where were those pretty hearts and pastel colours that I usually went for? Well, there weren’t any. But, seeing as I had to read it for class, I didn’t really have a choice in the matter so I began. 

The Kite Runner was the very first book to move me. To make me cry, to make me think about life and to make me realise how precious life is. Until then, a book had never had such a profound effect on me, and I remember sitting there, once I’d finished, wondering what the bloody hell had just happened. My mind was well and truly blown, I remember that much. It was heart-breaking, devastating, and it has remained with me ever since. 

I loved how the author created his characters, and despite their obvious differences in class, managed to connect them so deeply. It was beautiful and brilliant, and opened my eyes to the power of the written word. Before this book, I had no idea that a novel could make me feel so much emotion. Even I was surprised to find the tears streaming down my cheeks at one point, because it had just never happened before. It was a rare gem that I found, and as silly as it sounds, I wish I had thanked my English Lit teacher for bringing it to my attention, because imagine if it had slipped me by completely? 

So yes, The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini has to be my favourite book. Whenever I’m asked this question, my mind flutters through all of the possible candidates, but always returns to The Kite Runner. It’s a truly special book, and the fact that it has stayed with me for so long just goes to show exactly how special. If you haven’t yet read this beauty, then I suggest that one day, perhaps when you have a few spare hours, do dive in. It really is one of a kind.

Jo Hurst from Comet Babe's Books 

When I first saw Sharon’s post about my favourite book I thought this is really easy, but when I actually sat down and thought about it, it wasn’t that easy after all.  Since I started blogging I have read so many fantastic books, but which should I pick?

In the end I settled on a book that I have loved since I was a teenager, Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.  For me this book has everything anyone could wish for in a book.  It is set to the back drop of the American Civil War, this provides drama but this isn’t the only drama in this this fantastic book.  There is a hot hero, love and loss.  The story is fantastically written and so well described that I felt I was living the trials and tribulations of Scarlett O’Hara.  Scarlett isn’t the easiest of characters to like and at times I really want to slap her especially when it comes to Ashley and Rhett Butler.  A really great read that I would recommend to anyone. 

Bernadette Maycock, author of It Started with a Snub and reviewer at BRMaycock’s Book Blog

I know when most people are asked for their favourite book have to take their time weighing up all the options. There is no such problem for me. I have one book that is etched in my mind since the day I read it, or should I say the night I stayed up without realizing so that I could travel the dirt-ridden track Khaled Hosseini took me on. The book is ‘A Thousand Splendid Suns.’ 

‘A Thousand Splendid Suns’ is set in Kabul and is the gut wrenching story of Mariam, her marriage to the terrible Rasheed, and how, at a time when the Taliban have taken over, they come to take in a girl, Laila. The journey of these two women still  jumps into my mind from time to time, the imagery of  war, the way they live and the cruelness of life for the these women so vivid that your stomach churns. There are twists, surprises, scenes of warmth, hope and tragedy. It was a difficult read, especially given that I generally choose lighter books and yet you could not have pried that glorious paperback from my fingers under any circumstances. In summary, I would never ever be able to recommend this one enough, in fact, I must read it again!

As an aside, thanks so much to Sharon for this opportunity and congratulations on her Blogiversary and stellar work.:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment