Wednesday 10 December 2014

Christmas Reads 2014: Sheila Roberts - On Strike for Christmas

At Christmas time, it seems as though a woman's work is never done. Trimming the tree, mailing the cards, schlepping to the mall, the endless wrapping - bah humbug! So this year, Joy and Laura and the rest of their knitting group decide to go on strike. If their husbands and families want a nice holiday filled with parties, decorations, and presents - well, they'll just have to do it themselves.

The boycott soon takes on a life of its own when a reporter picks up the story and more women join in. But as Christmas Day approaches, Joy, Laura, and their husbands confront larger issues in their marriages and discover that a little holiday magic is exactly what they need to come together.

Amazon links: Kindle or Paperback 

I'd never read a Sheila Roberts book before, despite having a couple on my Kindle to read, so when Clara at Little Brown contacted me to be part of Sheila's Christmas tour I was more than happy to be part as I LOVE reading Christmas themed stories,

After Joy's husband Bob becomes a killjoy at another family gathering she's finally had enough of him spoiling her enjoyment so she decides to teach him a lesson and show him what his idea of Christmas would be like by going on strike, but will she be able to cope with Scrooge at Christmas?  And soon she's not alone as some of the women from her knitting group, and other women in the town once it becomes media news, join in leaving their other halves to make all the Christmas preparations with some interesting consequences...

Well what can I say about On Strike for Christmas other than it was just the pick me up I needed as have been feeling a bit off kilter recently but reading about the antics of Bob, Glen and the others as they try and do Christmas their way really made me chuckle.  At times I was feeling sorry for the men as they came across hurdles whilst at other times I was cheering the women wholeheartedly as they tried to get their message across.

I have to admit that I did find the concept a little old fashioned at first as most couples I know nowadays do both share the load of household tasks, but know a few older couples who certainly fit this bill, but once I overlooked this minor factor I was able to enjoy this story for what it was, a tale of relationships and the importance of how we treat one another.  A real cosy read for this Winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment