Wednesday 21 December 2011

Books Read: Cathy Kelly - Christmas Magic

Source - Bought (Amazon)

Synopsis

Cathy Kelly, the number 1 best-selling Irish author, has created her first collection of heart-warming short stories. Christmas Magic is full of charming tales of life, love and the everyday dilemmas that we all face, all told in Cathy’s warm voice.

From Dolores and Genevieve, two spinster sisters who must finally break free from their mother’s powerful personality, to Alice, who is facing having to open her home and her heart to the one visitor that she doesn’t want this Christmas, from a captivating family story triggered by a letter to Lily’s disastrous arrival at her best friend’s wedding, these are stories to make you laugh, cry and nod in recognition.

Relax and unwind in front of a roaring fire and indulge yourself in these, and many other humorous and uplifting tales. Remember that Christmas comes but once a year, so let the magic reel you in…

Having read and enjoyed most of Cathy's previous novels, I decided to break my book buying ban when I saw this collection of short-stories on sale at half price.  However, if I am brutally honest, I almost wish I hadn't as I was expecting the majority of the stories to be based around Christmas time when in fact only a few were.

As you'd expect with a collection of short stories, there's a mix of romance, family dramas and friendships but there were quite a few of the stories that just didn't grab my attention at all so I tended to flick through these to get to the next one.  Also a few of the ohers just seemed to come to a sudden end without warning.  I have read an article stating that Cathy doesn't like writing short stories so therefore I'm a bit bemused as to why this collection was then released!

I'm hoping that this is just a blip by Cathy and that her next novel, The House on Willow Street, is one that I'll be able to sink my teeth into and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment