Monday 8 October 2012

Author Interview: Lucy Dawson

One of the books that I've been really looking forward to reading for quite a while is Little Sister by Lucy Dawson as it seems such a long time since I read her last book, The One That Got Away.  I'm delighted to be able to welcome Lucy to my blog for an interview.

Can you tell us a little bit about Little Sister? 
Kate is told that Anya has had a diving accident on holiday in Mexico, and is now missing.  Kate's search reveals a far more sinister turn of events, as she struggles to convince everyone around her that time is running out for her sister.

Where did the inspiration come from for Little Sister?
My hairdresser told me what he got up to on HIS holiday... it all started there.

Did you always know you wanted to be a writer?
Yes, although I thought (aged ten) that I wanted to be a songwriter.  Thankfully no examples of this early work have survived.    

Being a writer appears to be such a solitary lifestyle, especially when you're in the midst of writing, so do you consider the influence of social media, Facebook and Twitter, a blessing or a hinderance? 
It is solitary - that's the downside of writing, but for me Facebook and Twitter are a massive distraction, to the point I've actually removed my web browser from my laptop.  Harsh - but much needed.

How long did it take to get your first book published? 
I wrote two books which the agent I wanted declined to represent (she was right, they were rubbish).  She signed me for my third book, and I got my first deal very soon after that. 

How hard is it to keep coming up with fresh ideas for new books?
Things happen all the time that spark ideas.  Most of them fizzle away.  It's the ones that I can't stop thinking about that I end up using.
 
Have you got a favourite out of all the books you've written, if so, which one and why?
My favourite is always the one I've just written.

If you could give one piece of advice to an aspiring writer, what would it be?
Do it because you want to write, rather than be published, and you won't go far wrong.

Do you have much spare time to read books?  If so, what was the last book you read or what are you currently reading?
I don't read fiction while I'm writing, so I really look forward to the breaks in between drafts.  I'm about to start The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.

Having been lucky enough to have received a review copy for Little Sister, I can tell  you that you're in for a treat.  I started reading it yesterday and I'm hooked already, my review should hopefully be up on the blog this weekend so make sure you pop back to check it out.

Little Sister is published by Sphere on 11th October, £8.99 

No comments:

Post a Comment