Tuesday 5 March 2013

Books Read: Sam Binnie - The Baby Diaries

"I'd be sick right now, but I never like to reinforce a cliché." 

A few weeks after Kiki and Thom return from honeymoon, Kiki finds there's a noticeable absence. An extremely serious noticeable absence of something, it turns out, Kiki now realises she was pretty glad about. One pregnancy test later, Kiki's breaking the "good news" (Thom: Wow. We're so… Edwardian.) and rewriting all the plans she'd made before. 

With an ever-expanding waistline, her nightmare childhood "friend" Annie pregnant too, all the problem authors at Polka Dot Books she could (not) wish for and an army of NW London's Smug Mothers to deal with, these nine months might not be the nine months of blooming relaxation she'd been promised…


When a copy of The Baby Diaries dropped through my letter box I knew that I'd better quickly buy a copy of The Wedding Diaries to read first so that I could get up-to-date with Kiki and Thom's story. 

Kiki and Thom have just returned home from their honeymoon and are struggling to get back into the swing of everyday life but Kiki has this niggling feeling that she's forgotten something... and it soon dawns on her what it is... she might be pregnant!  

Once they've gotten over the initial shock of being pregnant so soon in their married life, Kiki and Thom start to look forward to their new life together as a family even if it is a completely daunting prospect.  

Kiki chronicles her pregnancy through her diaries which made for some very entertaining reading... at times I couldn't help but laugh out loud at some of the situations but at other times I was cringing at what I was reading.  

I have to confess I wasn't sure how I was going to get on with this book not being a parent myself but I needn't have worried as there weren't any really graphic details in there about pregnancy or the birth itself... infact I've heard more graphic tales from friends who have had kids!  

Although Kiki and Thom are the main characters we do also get to meet an interesting mix of other characters including Kiki's family, her workmates & clients, their friends as well as other couples from their ante-natal group but I have to say that Thom was my out and out favourite character in this book... why can't I meet someone like him!

As I understand it there is a third part to come of Kiki and Thom's story so I'm definitely looking forward to reading this to see what the future has in store for them now that they've encountered two of the major events that could happen in their lives... getting married and having a baby.

I'd like to thank Becke at Avon for sending me a copy of this book to review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment