Thursday 25 April 2013

Books Read: Amanda James - A Stitch in Time

A stitch in time saves nine - or does it?

Sarah Yates is a thirty-something history teacher, divorced, disillusioned and desperate to have more excitement in her life. Making all her dreams come true seems about as likely as climbing Everest in stilettos.

Then one evening the doorbell rings and the handsome and mysterious John Needler brings more excitement than Sarah could ever have imagined. John wants Sarah to go back in time ...

Sarah is whisked from the Sheffield Blitz to the suffragette movement in London to the Old American West, trying to make sure people find their happy endings. The only question is, will she ever be able to find hers?

A Stitch in Time was certainly something a little different to the type of books I've read recently.  It was an interesting blend of romance with a little bit of historical and fantasy thrown in for good measure, romance and historical I can deal with as these are the sort of books I do like to read but normally fantasy is not my thing but this book had just the right amount to not confuse/put me off.

Sarah Yates was leading a nice comfortable life as a teacher in Sheffield, albeit with a broken heart following the deception by her husband and best friend, when she's surprised by a visit by a complete stranger called John.  But what he has to tell her about why he is there makes her think she's having a complete meltdown for John tells her that he's a 'Needler' and is there to help her as she's been identified as a 'Stitch' meaning that she'll have to go back in time to dates in the past to try and fix things.

What follows is Sarah's reactions to everything that happens to her when she's suddenly thrust from modern-day Sheffield into the midst of Sheffield during World War II, London during the beginning of the Suffragette movement and to the American priaries in the midst of a plague.  Will she ever get used to her time-travelling and will she succeed in her missions?

This was a really interesting concept for a storyline, and if I'm honest one that I thought I would not find believable, which had me hook, link and sinker from the first chapter.  I loved the historical elements of Sarah's journeys which were cleverly written and as for the romance, well I am a sucker for a nice romance story...

It's hard to believe that this is Amanda James' debut novel so I cannot wait to see what she comes up with for her next book.  I'd like to thank Choc Lit for sending me a copy of this book to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment