Sunday 5 May 2013

Guest Book Review: Michele Gorman - Single in the City

Reviewed by Lisa Hemmings

Take one twenty six year old American, add to a two thousand year old city, add a big dose of culture clash and stir. 

To think Hannah ever believed that Americans differed from Brits mainly in pronunciation, sophistication and dentistry. That's been the understatement of a lifetime. She lands upon England's gentle shores with no job, no friends and no idea how she's supposed to build the life she's dreaming of. Armed with little more than her enthusiasm, she charges headlong into London, baffling the locals in her pursuit of a new life, new love and sense of herself.

I chose to review Misfortune Cookie as a guest reviewer for Sharon's blog, I was a little surprised that she suggested I read Single in the City first, but after reading it I can totally understand why.

I live and work in London and liked the idea of the story being told through the eyes of an American trying to find her way around the “big smoke”. I found the characters easy to relate too, funny, and genuine. 


As the story develops you are hooked on Hannah’s plight and I found myself willing her on. The book leaves you wanting more and it doesn’t disappoint by setting the scene for the sequel Misfortune Cookie.


This is a light hearted read, which sets the scene for Hannah’s story and further adventures.
  My review for Misfortune Cookie will follow shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment