Thursday 27 June 2013

Crime Fiction Week Review: Samantha Hayes - Until You're Mine

Claudia seems to have the perfect life.

She's heavily pregnant with a much wanted baby, she has a loving husband, and a beautiful home.

And then Zoe steps into her life. Zoe has come to help Claudia when her baby arrives.

But there's something about Zoe that Claudia doesn't like. Or trust.

And when she finds Zoe in her bedroom, Claudia's anxiety turns to real fear ...

Until You're Mine by Samantha Hayes had been on my Amazon wishlist since I'd first heard about the book earlier in the year, so when I received a copy of the book from Philippa at Century for my crime fiction week I was very eager to start reading it.

Well what can I say about this book other than it's gone to the top of my list for best book read so far this year, it had me hooked right from the start and I had a couple of very late nights of reading...

The story is told from the viewpoint of three main characters; Claudia, who is desperate for a baby after many failed pregnancies, Zoe, the nanny who comes to help Claudia look after her two young step-sons and the new baby, and Lorraine, a detective who has her own family issues to deal with who comes into contact with Claudia and Zoe during one of her investigations.

Sometimes I don't like how the stories flip from one character to the next as it can be confusing as to who's talking but I never had that problem at all with this book which is obviously the sign of good writing.

I've deliberately not expanded more than the synopsis as I didn't want to give too much of it away and spoil it for other readers.  But all I will say is that if you love psychological thrillers then this is a MUST to be added to your reading pile.

Even 24 hours later after finishing reading this book I'm still thinking about it and how it all ended, I didn't see that coming at all!  Throughout the whole story you're led in one direction before the story flips 180 degrees and leads you down a different path completely...very impressive writing.

I've only read one of the authors previous books but definitely will be adding her to my list of my must read authors... I do already have another one of her books in my TBR pile and will see if there are any others that I've missed to add too.  After the suspense in this book I cannot see what Samantha Hayes has to offer us next...


Amazon links: Hardback or Kindle

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree - its a brilliant read and very different

    ReplyDelete