Wednesday 20 November 2013

Books Read: Dorothy Koomson - The Flavours of Love

‘I’m looking for that perfect blend of flavours; the taste that used to be you. If I find it, I know you’ll come back to me.’

It’s been 18 months since my husband was murdered and I’ve decided to finish writing The Flavours of Love, the cookbook he started before he died. Everyone thinks I’m coping so well without him – they have no idea what I’ve been hiding or what I do away from prying eyes. But now that my 14-year-old daughter has confessed something so devastating it could destroy our family all over again, and my husband’s killer has started to write to me claiming to be innocent, I know it’s only a matter of time before the truth about me and what I’ve done is revealed to the world. 

My name is Saffron Mackleroy and this is my story.


 Amazon links: Kindle or Hardcover

Saffron Mackleroy's husband Joel was tragically murdered a couple of years ago but his killer has never been caught so she's having to cope with it all on her own.  And things are certainly not made any easier for her by her family, she's called to her 14 year-old-daughter's school to be told some shocking news, her young son has retreated into his shell and Joel's aunt Betty has been kicked out of her care home so she's now living with Saffron and the children.  And if that wasn't enough to deal with she's now started getting anonymous letters from her husband's killer...

This was actually quite a hard storyline to follow as you needed to concentrate as it flitted back and forth between different timelines, before and after the murder, and back to the current day, but this was a small niggle in an otherwise compelling read that had me wanting to read on to discover what was going to crop up next.

As if the murder of a loved one was not bad enough, the book also dealt with a few other serious issues but they were all handled sensitively particularly the situation regarding daughter Phoebe.    

At first I thought Saffron was quite a cold character and I didn't really connect with her but as the story unfolded I realised that she had a lot of her own issues dating back to her childhood that had made her such a closed off and private person, and towards the end I warmed to her a lot more and could understand more about why she was the way she was.  Aunt Betty was definitely my favourite character of the lot, she was such a livewire and you never knew what she was going to do next but even she had her own secrets...

I'd like to thank Sophie at ED Public Relations for sending me a proof copy of this book to review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment