Wednesday 15 January 2014

Books Read: Eva Dolan - Long Way Home

A man is burnt alive in a suburban garden shed. 

DI Zigic and DS Ferreira are called in from the Peterborough Hate Crimes Unit to investigate the murder. Their victim is quickly identified as a migrant worker and a man several people might have had good reason to see dead. A convicted arsonist and member of a far-right movement has just been released from prison while witnesses claim to have seen the dead man fighting with one of the town's most prominent slum landlords. 


Zigic and Ferreira know all too well the problems that come with dealing with a community that has more reason than most not to trust the police, but when another migrant worker is attacked, tensions rapidly begin to rise as they search for their killer.



Amazon links: Kindle or Hardcover

One of the 2014 debut books I was really looking forward to reading was Long Way Home by Eva Dolan so when I saw it was available to review on NetGalley I instantly requested a copy and I'm so glad that I did. 

Long Way Home is the start of what looks to be a promising series featuring DI Zigic and DS Ferreira from the Hate Crimes Unit in Peterborough.  When they are called to investigate the death of a migrant in an arson attack on a garden shed, it looks at first to be an open and shut case of the owners trying to evict their unwanted tenant by destroying the shed he'd been living in not realising that he was in there.  

But as they try and investigate they come across resistance from the migrant population, both legal and illegal, who are reluctant to get involved and answer questions as worried about their own safety.  One thing's for sure their open and shut case is not quite as straightforward as it first seemed... 

I really liked the partnership between Zigic and Ferreira who on paper appear to be the complete opposites of each other but their styles seem to mesh so well to get the results needed.  

Even though I found some of the scenes hard to read, and I'm sure there is far worse that goes on in this world that I know little about, I still found myself hooked and wanting to keep on reading.  This was a brilliantly written story that drew me in from the start, I knew it was a winner for me when I sat down to read one chapter whilst cooking my tea and half an hour later the tea was burnt!

I'm already looking forward to the next book in the series, no pressure Eva, as I want to see what's in store for them next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment