Thursday 1 May 2014

Guest Book Review: Marcus Sedgwick - A Love Like Blood

Reviewed by Jane McClelland

I've chased him for over twenty years, and across countless miles, and though often I was running, there have been many times when I could do nothing but sit and wait. Now I am only desperate for it to be finished. 

In 1944, just days after the liberation of Paris, Charles Jackson sees something horrific: a man, apparently drinking the blood of a murdered woman. Terrified, he does nothing, telling himself afterwards that worse things happen in wars.


Seven years later he returns to the city - and sees the same man dining in the company of a fascinating young woman. When they leave the restaurant, Charles decides to follow...


Amazon links: Kindle or Hardback  

This is the first Marcus Sedgwick book I have read not my usual choice of book. My first impression of the cover was it was eye catching and loved the blood dripping off the title which suggested a gruesome and dark tale was to follow. 

This is a an engaging and intelligently written fast paced thriller and a fantastic debut into Adult fiction. It is a vampire story with a difference as the plot centres around a trail of blood which travels across Europe over from 1944 to 1968.

Charles is a strong lead character who is haunted by an image he witnesses twenty years ago. His interest in finding out the truth results into an obsession as he begins to lose his grip on reality leading him to commit acts of kidnapping and corruption. His journey across Europe has unforgettable images conjured up by the descriptive prose, I felt I was travelling with him in a haunting gothic atmosphere across Europe. There are many themes explored through Charles the plot weaves a tale of obsession, revenge, depravity and love.

I would recommend this book if you love a good horror story. However if you have a fear of blood and shy away from gruesome reads this is definitely one to avoid as blood is dripping through the pages.

I'd like to thank Ellie at Hodder & Stoughton for sending me a copy of this book and Jane for reviewing it for my blog.  

1 comment:

  1. Your review reminds me a bit of The Quick by Lauren Owen, have you read it? Check out my review here. SD
    http://wp.me/p2ZHJe-Rj

    ReplyDelete