Sunday 23 November 2014

Guest Book Review: Gabrielle Mullarkey - Hush Hush

Reviewed by Tanya Phillips

Widowed a year ago, thirtysomething Angela has retreated into her shell, reluctant to dip a toe back in the job market – let alone the dating game. Between them, her bossy mum and her best friend gently nudge Angela back to life, persuading her to find a job and even try a solo holiday – which ends with a luggage mix-up and an encounter with a rugged Irishman called Conor. 

Back home, Angela resolves to take her new romance slowly, particularly as Conor’s (non-holiday) baggage includes the original ‘child from hell’ and a temperamental ex-wife with Pre-Raphaelite hair. Since Angela’s never liked winging it, is a future with Conor too uncertain to contemplate? 


But as she’s about to discover, her old life was far less secure than she thought. And the past won’t let go until she confronts its long-buried secret. 


Amazon link: Kindle

Hush Hush is about Angela trying to overcome the sudden death of her husband Robert, she needs to get through the grieving process and find herself again which involves her returning to work and also meeting someone new.  Her best friend Rachel is always there to help her, they have been friends since Grammar school. However their ideas of a relationship are very different, Angela was part of a married couple whereas Rachel “had been resolutely single with no discernible need for permanent male companionship”.

I have to say that I found the storyline quite trying at times and could not understand how things would happen as they did.  I do not want to go into details as would spoil it for others.  Other parts were very interesting and you wanted Angela to fall in love and find happiness again despite the trying situation involving a partners son and an ex-wife.

There are some great twists in the story that make it more interesting and I really liked the relationship of Angela and Rachel up to a certain point in the book.  I also found myself warming towards Angela’s mum Sadie and how she can influence Angela’s life and get away with it.  Shows mum knows best. Sadie’s blunt manor often had me giggling to myself.

It’s nice to see Angela return to work and gain in confidence meeting new people and being responsible for her own life.  Although you are waiting throughout the book to find the secret behind why she previously gave up work

My favourite scene in the book is the sports day when Angela puts some bullies in their place. This did have me laughing and wishing I was that confident when I was in school facing nasty people.

Overall I have to confess I didn't really enjoy this book but I'm sure there are many of  you out there who will.

No comments:

Post a Comment