Sunday 17 May 2015

Books Read: Carmel Harrington - The Life You Left

It started out like any other day for Sarah Lawler; getting the kids ready for school, making the pack lunches and juggling baby Ella’s feeds. 

There was no way of knowing that her husband, Paul, would leave for work that morning and simply not come home. 

Now the questions are piling up quicker than the unpaid bills and, unable to answer her children’s questions about where their Daddy is, Sarah is getting desperate. 

But it turns out she isn’t quite as alone as she thought she was. When her beloved childhood friend, Edward, comes back into her life, Sarah thinks she’s finally been thrown a life line. 

There’s just one problem with Edward: Sarah is the only person who can see him.

Amazon links: Kindle or Paperback

I think I must be one of the few bloggers who have still to read Carmel Harrington's emotional debut Beyond Grace's Rainbow, despite purchasing a copy, as this was reviewed on the blog by Ceri so I had no idea what to expect from her latest book The Life You Left.

When Sarah's husband Paul disappears without a trace she has no idea where or why he has gone as she thought they had the perfect life together with their three young children.  But with the help of her twin brother James and her childhood 'friend' Edward it soon becomes clear that things were not quite as they seemed with Paul and so she needs to follow the clues to get the answers she's so desperately searching for. 

But Paul's disappearance is not the only mystery that Sarah is having to deal with as she has starting having strange dreams about things happening to people she knows, as well as complete strangers.  But these dreams might also be able to help solve a major crime as she's started seeing clues which might help to solve the murder of her son's school teacher who was found dead on the beach.  

I will admit that I was a bit of a sceptic at first with regards to anything to do with Guardian Angels and psychics as I don't have a vivid imagination which is why it's taken me so long to read.  But I was able to push my doubts aside for this aspect of the storyline and enjoy it for what it was, a story about how a young women is struggling to make sense of what is happening to her.  Will she be able to do anything to prevent these premonitions becoming reality and will she ever discover what happened with Paul?  

The disappearance of a loved one is always going to be an emotive subject and The Life You Left certainly takes you through the emotional highs and lows with Sarah as she tries to find answers.  She was a resilient young woman but I couldn't help but feel for her as she'd certainly been dealt a shitty hand in life, first with the way her parents treated her when she was younger (you'll have to read for yourself to see what I mean) and then the spineless way that Paul disappeared.  As for the character of Paul there's certainly not enough adjectives for me to describe how I felt about him...    

So despite my initial misgivings about reading The Life You Left, I can honestly say that I was converted as I lost myself into the story as Sarah picked herself up and dusted herself off to do what was best for her young family.  A beautiful story from Carmel so I'll definitely be interested to see where her writing takes us next. 

I received a review copy of this eBook from the publisher via NetGalley.

1 comment:

  1. You need to read Beyond Graces Window. I only just read it but wow

    ReplyDelete