Friday 23 October 2015

My Favourite Book is... by Sarah Hardy, Helena Fairfax & Katey Lovell


Sarah Hardy from By the Letter Book Reviews

One of my favourite books is actually one that I read fairly recently. It is a book by a new author which is her debut and is called Out Of The Darkness: A tale of love, loss and life after death by Katy Hogan.

There are many reasons why it is one of my favourite books but probably the main one was that I cried at the end because I didn't want it to end, which surely has to be the sign of a great book. I loved everything about the book, the story, the characters and that it made me feel a whole array of emotions.

Death is something that has always been at the back of my mind even as a child and I have constantly worried about it over the years, not just for me but also my family and what happens when we die. Through the story line and the characters losses it helped calm my fears and brought me some comfort when thinking of the future.

The book is far from doom and gloom though and I cried tears of joy as well as sadness and it is one of those books that I will definitely read again in the very near future.


Helena Fairfax, author of The Antique Love

My favourite book as a child was Miss Happiness and Miss Flower, by Rumer Godden. It's about a little girl, Nona, who comes from India to live in England, and how she feels lost and lonely, until an aunt sends her two Japanese dolls. 

This book made a tremendous impact on me as a child. I'd come to live in England from Uganda, and I was blown away to find a child in a book who felt like I did. Through Rumer Godden, I learned the amazing ability that authors have to reach out to us.

Katey Lovell, author of the Meet Cute series and blogger at Books with Bunny

It's always difficult when I'm asked to pick just one favourite book. I read so many (and love so many) that it's like being asked to murder my darlings!  However, one I will always come back to as a favourite is 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff. 

This non-fiction book shares the letters sent between New Yorker Helene and London bookseller Frank Doel.  It's perfect for anyone who treasures books and values friendship.  The follow up The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street which chronicles Hanff's trip to visit London is just as captivating.

1 comment:

  1. These all sound like great books. Thanks, Helena, Sarah, and Katey for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete