Monday 11 January 2016

Kelly's Review: Match Me If You Can by Michele Gorman

Reviewed by Kelly Spillane

Ever thought about recycling your ex?

Best friends Catherine, Rachel & Sarah are fun, smart, successful and single – just like millions of women with a low tolerance for idiocy in their dates.

Mr. Right hasn't turned up yet, and Mr Right-Now isn't worth booking a wax appointment for. So when Catherine, London’s finest matchmaker, gets Rachel and Sarah to join her dating site where they can recycle their ex-boyfriends in exchange for an upgrade, they soon realise that anything could happen...

Three best friends, proving that sometimes it really isn't you… it's him.

Amazon links: Kindle or Paperback

Match Me If You Can centres around three women who share a house together. Catherine is thirty six and is one of the UK's most successful match makers.  She runs the very successful dating agency RecycLove with her ex husband Richard who is now planning a wedding to his twenty three year old fiance. Thirty one year old Rachel is an architect and is facing the most important few weeks of her career.  In order to better her career she has to compete against her ex, James. Rachel also wants to better her love life and decides to enlist the help of Catherine's dating agency in order to help her do so.  Sarah is the third woman, she is a baker extraordinare and loves to keep fit.  She designs cards for a living and along with caring for her disabled sister, she has little time for anything let alone finding love.  But when Rachel talks Sarah into joining RecycLove with her, which means that Sarah will have to face a few of the skeletons in her closet.  

The first thing that struck me about this book is how real it is, despite the book being a work of fiction.  These women became my friends and the more I read, the more immersed in the story I became. All three women could be real.  I love how these characters were created and I adored the character of Sarah especially, along with the character of her sister Sissy.  Michele Gorman has effortlessly created loveable characters that I would love to see more of in the future. 

I laughed a whole lot while I was reading this book and I loved all of the jokes and the one liners that were thrown in along the way.  However, the thing that I admired the most about this book is the contrast between humour and the more serious topics, such as cancer and caring for a family member with a disability, which were covered so beautifully throughout Match Me If You Can.  Michele Gorman has found the perfect balance between the light and dark in this novel which in my opinion is what makes this book so special. 

Match Me If You Can is one of the first books I've read in 2016 and has really pulled me out of a reading slump.  If the rest of the books that I read throughout the year are as good as this one I don't see myself  having the reading slump problem again.  This is the perfect book to cuddle up to on these cold miserable January evenings although I think this novel will make a fantastic summer read also. 

Match Me If You Can is a heartwarming tale about love and friendship, and leaves you with a warm feeling from the very first page.  Before I knew it I had this book read from start to finish because I had become totally absorbed in it.  I love all of Michele's books and I am eagerly waiting for a new one.  Once again she has kept me entertained and has left me wanting more.

I'd like to thank Kelly for reviewing Match Me If You Can which we received from Michele. 

No comments:

Post a Comment