Tuesday 10 January 2017

Books Read: The Year of Saying Yes - Part One: It Started with a Dare by Hannah Doyle

Dear Readers

It's drizzling outside, which totally matches my #currentmood. Pigs in blankets, all the mince pies and a festive Baileys or five are distant memories. You know the drill - it's January. Everyone's banning booze (terrible idea) or cutting carbs (impossible). To add to the misery pile, my plans to seduce the man of my dreams at the stroke of midnight flopped spectacularly.

I'm Izzy. I don't just need a New Year resolution, I need a whole new life. And I need YOU. My dreary life is about to get a total makeover - it's my 'Year of Saying Yes'. And this is where you come in. It's up to you to #DareIzzy. I'm saying yes to your challenges, no matter how nuts, adventurous or wild they are. The sky's the limit - I'm at your mercy, readers!

Wish me luck. I have a feeling I'm going to need it.

Love

Izzy x 

Amazon link: Kindle 

Regulars of the blog will know that I'm not a fan of reading serials as I'm far too impatient and want to be able to read the whole story in one go from start to finish without having to wait for the next installment.  But I received a proof copy from the publisher for the first part of this fab sounding serial, and being ill over Christmas I decided to read It Started with a Dare as something to cheer me up which it certainly did.

Personally I stopped making New Years resolutions years ago as my willpower is non-existent and I found myself breaking them within days.  But our heroine Izzy, like so many others, always sets herself some which normally feature variations on the same thing 'don't do this' or 'don't do that'.  She realises that this year she needs to do something different, to make a difference in her life to get herself out of a rut, and the perfect opportunity soon presents itself at work when she's given the chance to do a monthly feature piece #DareIzzy for which she has to say 'Yes' which is when the fun really starts. No sooner is the idea out there on social media then the dares start flooding in, and before long life as she knows it is turned upside down as Izzy finds herself outside of her comfort zone tackling a few of the dares that have been sent in by readers.

From the opening chapter Hannah Doyle's witty writing had me hook, line and sinker as I couldn't help but laugh out loud at some of the cringeworthy situations that Izzy finds herself in... from the New Years Eve family party with Gorgeous George that finally opens her eyes, to her encounters with handsome men... cue a Hollywood actor and a topless man at a campsite.  Izzy is a character that I'm sure so many readers will be able to relate to, and the supporting cast of family, friends and colleagues all played their part to make this such an entertaining read.  

However, as I feared after reading part One I was left feeling frustrated wanting to know what happened next for Izzy but there's still three more installments before the story is complete. Fortunately this serial is being published fortnightly, A Dare to Remember this Thursday, She Who Dares on 26th January and The Dare of a Lifetime on 9th February, so I don't have too long to wait until I can read about the rest of Izzy's dares throughout the year. If you'd like to get started on this fun serial Part One It Started with a Dare is out now and currently free.

No comments:

Post a Comment