Friday 17 November 2017

Debut Spotlight: D.K. Hood

Today it's my pleasure to be shining the spotlight on US crime writer D.K. Hood and her debut novel Don't Tell a Soul which was published a couple of weeks ago.

I've always had a wicked sense of humor, and was the kid who told the ghost stories around the campfire. I am lucky to have family all over the world and have spent many wonderful vacations in places from Paris France to Montana USA and Australia. I use the wonderful memories from these visits to enhance my stories.

My interest in the development of forensic science to solve crime goes back many years. I enjoy writing crime, mystery and thrillers. With many stories, waiting for me to write I'll look forward to sharing many spine tingling stories with you.

D.K. Hood is an active member of International Thriller Writers.

Website: http://www.dkhood.com
Twitter: @DKHood_Author
Facebook: DK Hood author

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your writing journey? 
Writing for me has been a varied path. I started with romance but found my stories leaned more toward action adventure or suspense. I love to read crime, mystery and thrillers in a wide variety of genres, from military Black Ops to mysteries set in small villages. I had so many story ideas running around in my head, I decided to change my entire world around and write a crime thriller.

It took a lot of research to decide where to send my very first crime thriller submission and I decided to submit to Bookouture. I could not believe my eyes when a reply came back saying they loved my story and a three-book deal followed.

Being a debut author in a genre with a massive amount of brilliant writers has been terrifying but with Bookouture’s great team behind me and being with the best group of authors in the world, I’m confident my work will go out into the world the best it can be.

If you had to give an elevator pitch for Don't Tell a Soul, what would it be? 
Small town. Big Crimes. Dark Secrets.

Don’t Tell A Soul is a fast-paced, crime thriller, featuring two ex-special agents looking to hide from their past in the sheriff’s office of a small US town.

What was the inspiration behind creating a detective duo as opposed to just one central lead detective? 
In Don’t Tell A Soul, I wanted to create a special chemistry between two powerful people. Jenna Able is a very competent law enforcer but she is carrying a dark secret from her past. She is alone, has few friends and does not trust easily. When Kane arrives, she realises he is the one man in the world who will watch her back.

Kane has lost everything; his wife, his job in Special Forces and was content to retire as a deputy sheriff. He had no idea the feisty woman who aimed a gun at his face the day they met would become his ideal partner in solving crime.

Describe the working dynamics between Jenna Alton and David Kane. 
When mild mannered David Kane, an ex-Special Forces agent masquerading as her new deputy sheriff, arrives in town, Jenna Alton is confronted by a person used to being in charge and intent on protecting her. Jenna has to enforce her position at first but she is a smart woman and soon realises a good leader uses the abilities of her team. 

Kane, a profiler and crack shot takes a few days to ease into his new position and after blaming himself for his wife’s death, has to fight the need to be overprotective towards Jenna. He soon concludes they are two people with secret pasts and becomes the rock Jenna needs beside her to solve crimes.

How much research did you need to do regarding police procedures especially regarding murder investigations?  
My interest in the development of forensic science to solve crime goes back many years. I completed a course in Forensic Science, which was for my own interest. The advances since the discovery of DNA and the processes to discover trace evidence is fascinating and I had to learn more. I research every part of police procedure as my stories are set in the USA and most of the states have different laws. For other police procedures, weapons etc. I go to an expert for advice. I also have wide range of police procedure documents to refer to if I need clarification.

What lessons have you learnt during the whole writing/editing process?
I listen to the wisdom of my editor and manage my time wisely.

What advice would you give to other aspiring authors who are thinking about writing a novel?
Learn your craft. Join organisations that will help you and guide you along the way. Take a course in creative writing. All these things will make sure the submission you send gives you the best chance of publication.

Did you treat yourself to something special to celebrate your publishing deal?
Chocolate lots of chocolate…gluten free of course.

Did you do anything exciting to celebrate publication day?
I went out to lunch with my friends and celebrated. 

Finally what can we expect from you next? 
Kane and Alton Book Two, Hiding Place is due for release in February 2018.

When a body is found stuffed into a barrel at the local dump, covered in long red cuts, Detective Jenna Alton and her new deputy, David Kane, rush to the scene.

Nothing ever happens in the small town of Black Rock Falls, so Jenna believes the victim must be one of two recent missing persons, and she fears for the life of the other.

Both were strangers to the town, but there’s nothing else to link them. Jenna knows someone must have seen something, but no one’s talking; how well does she really know the people around her?

Then a disturbing clue makes Jenna suspect a connection with other disappearances in the town’s history. Just when she begins asking the right questions, she realises she’s being followed. Is she next on the killer’s list?

In a race against time, Jenna and David must unlock the dark secret at the heart of the town, before it’s too late… 

Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/2wESpf4
Amazon US: http://amzn.to/2vgQtva

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me on your blog today :-)

    ReplyDelete