Saturday 7 March 2020

Debut Spotlight: T. L. Mahrt

Today it's my pleasure to be shining the spotlight on author T L Mahrt and her debut novel Withstanding the Enemy.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your writing journey? 
My Pen name is T L Mahrt but I go by Traci. I have been a stay-at-home mom for four years, now, to two beautiful children (ages 9, 4). Before, I was a business owner of a salon and spa. When my son was born, he was diagnosed with DYRK1A Syndrome and about 5 months later, my daughter fell off a high-diving board onto the concrete and now is a warrior of a TBI (traumatic brain injury). 

I have been journal sense I was a young girl. So, with staying at home to raise my children, writing has also became like a life line to me at time. It was also allowed me to have the flexible schedule to accommodate my busy life.

If you had to give an elevator pitch for Withstanding the Enemy, what would it be? 
Emma Andrews desires a life of freewill and must learn her own personal strengths and reality, if she has any hope of escape the clutches her captor, she must win the battle between her heart and her mind, and she may be in luck with the help from someone, who can only see the fighter in her.

Emma Andrews was orphaned at a young age with no family to turn to. Tired of the broken foster-care system, and believing it was her only option, she runs to a multi-millionaire with a reputation of hiring young women. It is only then that she learns what real monsters look like…

Emma uses her overactive imagination to help her get through the toughest of days. By daydreaming a life full of love and freewill, she manages her colorless prison, but even in her wildest dreams, she would have never imagined it could become a reality. That is, until she meets Chance, a man willing to lay his life down to save hers.

But what Emma doesn’t expect is to fight her own personal demons—her heart.

Which came first, the characters or the plot?
It was one scene that is in the middle of the book and I build from that… so, plot.

What attracted you to writing Romantic Suspense novels as opposed to other genres? 
Oh, I have always loved Romantic Suspense. I love all romance genres…

If Withstanding the Enemy was to be made into a film, who would you cast in the main roles? 
I have had Emma casted for a long time … Amanda Seyfried. That one is easy for me. 

Chance, of course with the built and blond hair, Chris Hemsworth.

Rick, I have to say, I picture him as Joe Manganiello.

And Andy, is a bit harder, but am I going to have to go with Henry Cavill. 

What advice would you give to any other aspiring authors? 
To just set your butt down and write it, knowing that it’s going to suck because that’s what first drafts are—the worst version of your MS. 

Did you treat yourself to something special to celebrate the publication of your debut novel? 
Haha, no, I have kids…

Finally what can we expect from you next? 
I am working on Book two of With Emma Series, titled Within The Shadows. I am hoping to have it released by fall.

To find out more about Traci and her books, you can find her at

Website: https://www.tlmahrt.com 
Twitter: @tlmahrt
Facebook: T L Mahrt
Instagram: tlmahrt

No comments:

Post a Comment