Sunday 19 December 2021

Festive Fun with... Jordan Bell


Time for the next Festive Fun with... feature and it's my pleasure to welcome Jordan Bell back to the blog. 

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
My name is Jordan Bell, I live in Adelaide, Australia, with my husband and daughter. I work with university students as my day job, but writing about science for children is my vocation! I took up cross-stitching during the pandemic and it remains a really relaxing hobby for me. I’m currently wearing a moonboot to recover from a fractured 4th metatarsal in my left foot, which has slowed down my other main hobby, listening to podcasts while I go walking in the horse paddocks near my home, considerably!

What are you most looking forward to this Christmas?
Seeing some family members who I haven’t been able to catch up with for two years because of COVID restrictions. 

Do you have any favourite family Christmas traditions? 
We give my daughter a new pair of pyjamas on Christmas Eve and then we all watch a Christmas movie together. “Arthur Christmas” is one of our favorites. 

What is your best Christmas memory?
Singing Christmas carols with my mum’s extended family – we all love to sing and it’s a special time.

Describe your ideal Christmas.
We have three families to juggle spending time with for Christmas, so it tends to get a bit spread out. I’d say: On Christmas Eve afternoon, spending time with my dad’s family and seeing my siblings. Christmas Eve night at home with my family, watching the aforementioned Christmas movie! Christmas morning at home with presents for the three of us, then preparing to head to my mum’s family Christmas for a long lunch – ideally I bring a pavlova. Boxing Day, we have my husband’s family over for a traditional roast lunch – this year will be the first year without his mum, who passed away earlier this year, so it will be strange to gather without her. 

What is your favourite festive book of all-time?
I think O. Henry’s “The Gift of the Magi” is a lovely little short story about love, and gifts, and irony. 

Do you have any Christmas book traditions?
I always give my daughter a book for Christmas and this year I’ve given her a subscription to a kids’ book club where she can read the books that are planned per month and discuss them with the other kids in the club, in a moderate, online forum. I also usually give my husband a book as well, he loves books about musicians. 

What 3 books would you love Santa to have in his sack for you?
Oooh, I have had my eye on Everfair by Nisi Shawl for a while now, and I think Bri Lee’s Who Gets to Be Smart, looks amazing. And I’ve never read anything by Trent Dalton and apparently he’s amazing, so maybe one of his books? 

What is your favourite Christmas song?
I’m a fan of “Fairytale of New York” by Kirsty MacColl and the Pogues (not really one for kids though!) and I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the song my husband recorded as a younger man: “Rudolph the Hot Rod Reindeer”! But I must admit I also have a soft spot for “All I want for Christmas is you” by Mariah Carey – I know it’s everywhere, but I love it! 


What is your favourite Christmas film? 
For kids? Arthur Christmas. For grownups, maybe Die Hard? 

And finally, what are your hopes for 2022?
On a global scale I’m hoping for rapid, worldwide action on climate change, so we have a hope of enjoying future Christmases in a non-tropical setting. On the personal front, I am hoping to get an agent for my current work-in-progress-nearly-finished book, Aunt Jodie’s Guide to Climate Change.

Quick-fire questions

Roses or Quality Street? Quality Street! I love the variety
Mince pies/Christmas cake or Yule log? I’ve never had Yule Log so I’d pick that just out of curiosity
Turkey or ham? Roast Chicken, for preference!
Brussel sprouts or roast parsnips? Brussels, I love them when they are well cooked
Gravy or cranberry sauce? Gravy for sure, especially if it’s made with pan drippings
Fake or real Christmas tree? I love a real Christmas tree but have never had one as an adult
White or coloured lights? White
Giving or receiving presents? Both, but if I have to pick, having enough time to choose really thoughtful and useful gifts is something I love. 

Website: http://www.auntjodiesguide.com 
Twitter: @AuntJodiesGuide 
Facebook: Aunt Jodie's Guides

No comments:

Post a Comment