Saturday 18 December 2021

Festive Fun with... LM Milford

It's my pleasure to welcome author LM Milford back to the blog to take part in today's Festive Fun with... feature.

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
By day I work in communications but by night/weekends, I’m a crime writer. So far I have two novels out there – A Deadly Rejection and A Deadly Truth - and a novella just published last month (November) called A Killer Christmas, all part of the Allensbury Mysteries series. I’m a big fan of steak, red wine and cheese and all three together is just heaven. I live in Kent with my incredibly patient husband, who is also the tea boy.

What are you most looking forward to this Christmas?
Seeing my family. Last year we were locked down and so we couldn’t visit mine or my husband’s family. While it was lovely to spend the time together, we both really missed our family. Watching Die Hard and eating too many mince pies are also on my wish list.

Do you have any favourite family Christmas traditions?
We go to my sister’s house for Christmas dinner. She doesn’t do turkey, which is a nice change, but it does mean a second dinner is required on Boxing Day. I’ll also be making the mince pies, which I do every year, and preparing a cheese board. I also have a few personal traditions – I’ll always make time for The Muppets’ Christmas Carol because it’s just fantastic.

What is your best Christmas memory?
This is a tough one because there are so many good Christmases. Christmas 2019 was pretty special. My husband and I had just got married earlier in the month and we went to Zurich for a few days. The weather was a bit wet and eating fondue for Christmas lunch was strange but delicious. We went to church on Christmas morning, which was tricky because I don’t speak German, but I did my best to sing along to Stille Nacht (Silent Night). And I don’t think I disgraced myself!

Describe your ideal Christmas
Heading home to see the family is the key. Then plenty of food and wine, snuggling up in front of the TV. Christmas mass and a bit of carol singing have to be in there somewhere as well, although some of them do make me cry. There’s also time for quiet reading too, which is nice.

If you could choose one person, dead or alive, to celebrate a one-time special Christmas with, who would you choose and why?
I think I’d choose Victoria Wood. She seemed like such a nice person and she could bring some good comedy no doubt. Alternatively I’d like to be in Blackadder’s Christmas Carol because I just love the Blackadder series.

What is your favourite festive book of all-time?
It has to be A Christmas Carol. Who doesn’t love a creepy tale where everything works out for the best at the end? I have a list of regular Christmas reads but I always try to add new ones as the years go by. Hercule Poirot’s Christmas is on there as well.

What Christmas book would you like to see turned into a film?
I’m a big fan of Christmas crime, obviously, so I think Susi Holliday’s Deaths of December would be great. I love the concept of the Advent calendar with crime scene pictures in it.  

If you could spend Christmas with any fictional character, who would you choose and why?
Again, I think Edmund Blackadder would be up there. He’s such a great character and would give me a good laugh. 

Do you have any Christmas book traditions?
I usually try to read the same books during December. A Christmas Carol and Hercule Poirot’s Christmas are on there. But this year I have an Agatha Christie short story collection to add in and my book club is reading A Week in December by Sebastian Faulks so that’ll probably do for me.

What 3 books would you love Santa to have in his sack for you?
There’s a new Matthew Bartholomew chronicle out, The Chancellor’s Secret, then probably How to write a mystery by the Mystery Writers of America and any of the Miss Phryne Fisher Investigates series by Kerry Greenwood. I think that would keep me quiet for a while.

What is your favourite Christmas song?
Last Christmas by Wham would be number one. It’s not Christmas until I’ve heard that. Then probably Shakin’ Stevens’ Merry Christmas Everyone. 

What is your favourite Christmas film? 
I’m going to be controversial and say Die Hard. It is definitely a Christmas film and this year I will have a Nakatomi Plaza Christmas Party t-shirt to wear while I’m watching.

And finally, what are your hopes for 2022?
If I’m being ambitious I’d say I hope for society to be less fractured and aggressive. A bit of long-term kindness also wouldn’t go amiss. On a personal level, I'd like to stay healthy, as happy as I can be and publish another book or two. If my family can be the same, maybe minus the book publishing, then 2022 will be a good year.

Quick-fire questions

Roses or Quality Street? Can I have both? No? Roses.
Mince pies/Christmas cake or Yule log? Mince pies/cake definitely
Turkey or ham? Turkey
Brussel sprouts or roast parsnips? Parsnips!!!
Gravy or cranberry sauce? Cranberry sauce
Fake or real Christmas tree? Fake. I’ve had the same tree since 2003 and it’s travelled everywhere with me when I’ve moved house. It goes up on 1 December – not usually before. I’ve also got the same baubles and tinsel that I bought with the tree.
White or coloured lights? Errrrrm, I don’t have lights on my tree but I prefer coloured ones.
Giving or receiving presents? Giving, I think. But it’s also nice to open a present knowing someone has put a lot of time and thought into getting it for you.

When the curtains open on the Fenleys department store Christmas window display, there’s a shock in store.

A man lies dead amid the snow and reindeer, stabbed in the back. But who would murder mild-mannered, gentle Adrian Kendall?

Crime reporter Emma Fletcher is immediately on the case, determined to find the killer.

When a friend becomes the police’s prime suspect, she ploughs ahead with her investigation, desperate to find the truth whatever the cost.

Emma has to decide who has been naughty or nice before someone else gets hurt.

Website: www.lmmilford.com
Twitter: @LMMilford
Facebook: LM Milford

No comments:

Post a Comment