Sunday 12 December 2021

Festive Fun with... Rachel Sargeant

Today it's my pleasure to welcome author Rachel Sargeant back to the blog for this latest Festive Fun with... feature post. 

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Merry Christmas, Sharon, and thank you for inviting me onto your blog. I’m the author of three thriller/crime novels published by HarperCollins (The Roommates, The Perfect Neighbours and The Good Teacher) and I live in Gloucestershire. On my blog (https://www.rachelsargeant.co.uk) I review books I’ve enjoyed, and I tweet (@RachelSargeant3) about books and the telly. I’ve recently contributed a short story to the Everyday Kindness anthology in aid of Shelter. Currently I’m studying for a full-time research degree at the University of Birmingham.

What are you most looking forward to this Christmas?
Fingers crossed, both our children will be home. Son returning from his job in London, daughter flying in from hers in Germany. 

Do you have any favourite family Christmas traditions? 
A recent lovely one that has evolved is that all four of us help get Christmas lunch ready while listening to the radio. No one has an assigned role but it seems to work nicely. We alternate the radio between Classic FM, Radio One and Radio Two to cater for all family Christmas music tastes.

What is your best Christmas memory?
My surrealist memory dates from years ago when we had a holiday in Jamaica in the week running up to Christmas. It was an adventure holiday and we were being driven in off-road vehicles over dusty, rocky terrain in hot sunshine. The driver put the local radio on, and the song that came on was: “Walking in a Winter Wonderland”. Talk about juxtaposition. 

What is your favourite festive book of all-time?
I don’t have a favourite but a memorable read was The Hunting Party by Lucy Foley. It is set in the few days around New Year 2019 and I actually read it in the few days around New Year 2019. I don’t suppose I’ll ever read another book ‘live’ again. 

Do you have a favourite Christmassy cover?
They are all totally fabulous and they make me very click-happy on Amazon.

Do you have any Christmas book traditions?
I always line up at least one Christmassy book to read over the holidays. This year I’m going down the ghost story route with the New Ghost Stories III anthology. And because it’s the season of goodwill, it will be the perfect time to start reading the Everyday Kindness anthology. 

What 3 books would you love Santa to have in his sack for you?
Not new releases but they’ve been on my wish list for a while: On Midnight Beach by Marie-Louise Fitzpatrick, The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys, The Invisible Land by Hubert Mingarelli.

What is your favourite Christmas song?
Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses

What is your favourite Christmas film?
I love the Channel 5 Christmas film bonanza that starts in early November with a daily festive film. I record them so that my daughter and I can binge watch over Christmas. 

Quick-fire questions

Roses or Quality Street? Chocolate Brazils
Mince pies/Christmas cake or Yule log? Mince pies/Christmas cake – with cheese.
Turkey or ham? Nut roast
Brussel sprouts or roast parsnips? Both
Gravy or cranberry sauce? Vegetarian gravy and cranberry sauce.
Fake or real Christmas tree? Fake ever since we had a real one that needed watering and the damp pot damaged the floor…
White or coloured lights? We have coloured lights on our tree (With a fake tree we go full-on kitschy sparkle.), and white ones in the front window to give the neighbours the impression we have taste.
Giving or receiving presents? Knowing what to give gets harder every year as my grown-up children don’t really want anything whereas receiving is dead easy because everyone knows all I want is … books.

Website: https://www.rachelsargeant.co.uk 
Facebook: Rachel Sargeant author 
Twitter: @RachelSargeant3

No comments:

Post a Comment