Sunday 2 December 2012

Christmas Shorts with.... Kimberley Freeman

Today's Christmas Shorts interview has been completed by Australian author Kimberley Freeman whose latest book, Wildflower Hill, has just been published here in the UK.  

So I'll hand you over to Kimberley to talk about all things Christmas.

What is your earliest Christmas memory? 
When I was six, we had a Christmas party underneath our house and I cut out stars from crepe paper and made Christmas posters and sticky-taped them all over the walls. They stayed up for years, because nobody ever took them down.

 What is your favourite Christmas tradition?
Christmas is very different in Australia. For one thing, it's the middle of summer. So Christmas on the beach, with cold cooked chicken and ham, and lots of different salads, and a chilled glass of Riesling and then a dip in the ocean would be my favourite Christmas tradition here. 

What is or was the best book-related Christmas gift that you’ve received?
When I was a student and never had any money, I would keep a list for months before Christmas of all the books I wanted but couldn't afford, and give it to my mum to choose a few from. One Christmas, she bought every single one of them! I don't think I looked up for a few weeks. 

What is your favourite Christmas book?
The Night Before Christmas. I loved it as a child and now I read it to my children. I'll never forget the line, "the moon on the breast of the new fallen snow, gave the lustre of daylight to objects below". It's such an evocative image. 

What is your favourite Christmas film?
The Grinch. I watch a lot of children's movies because mine are still young (6 and 10). I love the idea of a person whose heart is two sizes too small.

What is your favourite Christmas song?
2000 Miles by The Pretenders. It's so melancholy and beautiful. 


 Or if you mean a carol, it's the Coventry carol. 


If you could spend Christmas anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? 
I do like a white Christmas, and England has such beautiful old towns, so perhaps York. I actually spent Christmas there in 1998 and went to carols at the Minster. It was magic. But no snow.

What are you looking forward to most this Christmas?
Seeing my children open their presents. I love the way they shine and laugh and get into the spirit of things. 

Will you be making a new years resolution? 
I recently made a half-year's resolution to get fit enough to ride my bike up the mountain behind my home. I achieved that, so perhaps my next resolution can be to ride the longer, harder way to the summit. 

Who would you like to kiss under the mistletoe?
My gorgeous partner.  He is the only man for me.

What one thing would you like to receive in your stocking?
World peace if it will fit... Otherwise new Fluevogs.  They are the best shoes in the world 

Finally a few quick fire questions to finish

Christmas at Home or Away? Home
Mulled Wine or Winter Pimms? Mulled Wine
Sprouts... delicious or evil? Evil
Yule Log or Mince Pie? Mince Pie
A Christmas Carol or Hogfather? A Christmas Carol
Miracle on 34th Street or It’s a Wonderful Life? Haven't seen either!

No comments:

Post a Comment