Sunday 2 February 2014

Reader Spotlight: Claire Prins-Kavanagh


Today I'd like to introduce you to Claire Prins-Kavanagh who I have known online now for quite a number of years since meeting on an online forum for Irish fiction writers and readers. 

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? 
I am Claire, age 47, born and bred in Dublin and am living in Holland for 23 years now. I work at the local playschool and help out at lunchtime at the primary school. With 3 teenage kids I still have plenty of time to read. 

Have you always been a bookworm?
I have always loved books. I remember going every couple of weeks to the library with my sisters to pick out books and coming home with loads of treasures. I was a daydreamer and loved getting lost in other worlds. 
Do you have a favourite author?
Marian Keyes is an all-time favourite. She captures what I miss most about home, the sense of humour, the way people say things, she always leaves me with a smile on my face. Claire Allan is a big time fav too. I always feel that she leaves a part of herself in the book. She can be very raw and true to life and you know you are not going to be fobbed off with a happy ever after ending but one that suits the characters. Oh and I love Roisin Meaney too, lovely light hearted stories. There are just so many good writers out there, so hard to pick one above the other. I have enjoyed Jodi Picoult, Penny Vincenzi, Sarah Webb, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Twilight stories, and on and on it goes. I always find this an unfair question as I don’t want to hurt writers that I know and have read and loved. 

What is your all-time favourite book that you love to read time and time again? 
I don’t have a book that I read over and over but I do have books that I will never part with. 

Do you have a preferred genre that you mainly read, or are you open to read almost anything? 
I usually go for the ‘chick-lit’ type but also love a good horror, (not Stephen King, ugh,) or detective, true life or fantasy. As long as the story is good and believable I will try anything. 

What book is top of your current wishlist? 
Oh, Roisin Meaneys new one due out in April, After The Wedding

Physical books or eBooks, what’s your preference? 
Ah, yes, I love both. Real books when at home, e-books when traveling. I have some problems with my hands and sometimes I just cant hold a book but my ereader is easier to prop up and turn pages. 

What was the last book you read that made you cry? 
Stay Where You Are and Then Leave by John Boyne. He is becoming a favourite of mine. John has a way with words, he can tell a tale in such a simple way but make a huge impact.

If you were going to be stuck on a desert island and could only take 3 books with you, which ones would you choose? 
Rachels Holiday by Marian Keyes. Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom. Circle of Friends by Mauve Binchy 

What book would you like to see made into a film and who would you cast for the central characters? 
Sorry cant think of an answer here. But when I am reading its funny how the story plays in my head and I see the actors before me playing the story out. 

Thank you for taking part Claire x

No comments:

Post a Comment