Sunday 23 March 2014

Reader Spotlight: Jo Skehan


It's been a few weeks since I last scheduled a reader spotlight feature so it's time to start them again as I have a few contributions lined up but more are always welcome, so if you'd like to take part email me.  

Today I'd like to introduce you to Jo Skehan who I have known virtually for a number of years since meeting on an online forum. 

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I am an Australian, born in the sunshine state Queensland where I attended school with the nuns...boarded with them from the age of 7 until 13...then I demanded to go to normal high school with my cousins. I wanted to be a doctor but my father didn’t believe in educating girls, so I went into nursing instead.

Married twice...first husband and I lived in NZ and other o/seas places...had 2 children. Son died aged 10yrs but daughter is now married and living in Perth with her kids. I have her eldest with me and have had since he was 5mths. Lived in Perth for many years and loved every minute of it.

Second husband is an angel and my soul mate. Currently in Victoria where the climate is freezing most of the year, and planning to move back to Qld in about a year.

I have had a story published in an anthology and have written 5 books in the vain hope of publishing them soon.

Have you always been a bookworm? 
I was a book worm even as a child...preferring to read something I could get my teeth into, to sewing embroidery that the nuns were ever hopeful of getting me to like! I have a book on the go all the time.

Do you have a favourite author?
I have a few favourite authors: Mary O’Sullivan; Maeve Binchy; Cathy Kelly; Santa Montefiore; Penny Vincenzi; Colleen McCulloch; Dianne Blackwood; Monica McInerney ; Roisin Meaney – I have read all of their books....also Marian Keyes.  

What is your all-time favourite book that you love to read time and time again?
The Winthrop Woman by Anya Seton.

Do you have a preferred genre that you mainly read, or are you open to read almost anything?
I’m happy to read most genres but don’t enjoy horror or sci fi....I prefer lighthearted romance or something with a  funny side to it....Elizabeth Buchan actually won me over recently with her books which are so close to real life and I could relate to all of them in some way.

What book is top of your current wishlist?
My wish list changes every day....every day I see another new book I just have to have.

Physical books or eBooks, what’s your preference?
I love real books...love the feel, smell, look of them...turning the pages gives me great pleasure. It has taken me a long time to accept the kindle in spite of buying it about a year ago, I have only just started using it. After the first couple of books I read for an Aussie author who wanted reviews written, I grew to love my kindle. I take books with me to work or to an appt where I may have to wait, and read my kindle at night in bed.
  
What was the last book you read that made you cry?
Elianne by Judy Nunn and Australian author.

If you were going to be stuck on a desert island and could only take 3 books with you, which ones would you choose?
I would have to have Penny Vincenzi’s sagas as they are so meaty.

What book would you like to see made into a film and who would you cast for the central characters?
Elianne, with Kate Hudson as the main lead of Ellie, and preferably all Australian stars for the other characters.   

Thank you for taking part x

No comments:

Post a Comment