Saturday 12 July 2014

Books Read: Lucy Robinson - The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me

Sally is an incredible singer but she sings only in her wardrobe where nobody can hear her. She'd rather join a nudist colony than sing in public.

That is until she ventures to New York where a wild and heady summer of love and loss changes her forever. No longer able to hide in the shadows, Sally must return home to London to fulfill a promise she cannot break - to share her voice.


But just as she's about to embark on her new life, a beautiful man turns up on Sally's doorstep bearing a sheepish smile and a mysterious hand-written message.


How did he find her? Why is he here? Does he hold the truth to what happened back in New York? And, with him back on the scene, will she still have the courage to step into the spotlight?


Amazon links: Kindle or Paperback

I'm a huge fan of Lucy Robinson as she's such a bubbly person and so supportive of us bloggers so had been waiting for what seemed like ages for the publication of her new book, The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me, which after hearing her talk about her personal struggles during the writing of it makes the book all the more special.

I'm sure that most of us can relate to the central character Sally in that she'd rather blend into the background than be in the spotlight unlike her cousin Fiona who simply flourishes being the star of the show.  Sally has been a closet opera fan since she was a young girl but fear has prevented her from singing in public so she settles for the next best thing, working as a wardrobe mistress at The Royal Opera House.

I loved seeing how Sally literally blossomed before your very eyes as you read about the experiences that have had a major impact on her destiny, from her childhood through to her working trip to New York which literally changed her life forever, to the start of a scary new adventure.

And what can I say about the rest of the cast, I'm sure like me you'll love and hate Fiona in equal measures, find yourself chuckling at the one-liners from Barry from Wales and can't help but smile at the exuberance of Jan Borsos to name but just a few of the delightful characters that you will meet in this book.

Initially when I heard that the story revolved around opera I was a little wary as I know absolutely NOTHING about opera so was worried that the references would fly over my head but I needn't have worried as it's a story written in Lucy's unique style that will literally have you laughing out loud one minute but then the next you may need a hankie close to hand.

The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me is a simply stunning story that was unlike anything I've read recently, I loved the characters and the rollercoaster of emotions that you'll experience in this drama-filled plot so much that I have already recommended it to many of my work colleagues.

I'd like to thank the publisher for sending me a proof copy to review via the Real Readers review program.  

No comments:

Post a Comment