Monday 3 August 2015

Books Read: Kat French - The Piano Man Project

Finding love isn’t always black and white…

You: kind, piano-playing sex god
Me: hopelessly romantic charity shop manager

Honeysuckle Jones has a problem, and her best friends Nell and Tash are on a mission to help her solve it. She needs a man – a caring, intelligent, funny man. But most importantly, a man who’s good with his hands…

Luckily Honey’s new neighbour – moody, antisocial ex-chef Hal – fails on almost every count. Even though the chemistry between them is electric, he’s obviously wrong for her in every way.

But when Honey discovers the devastating reason for his moods she decides to give him another chance. And discovers that the best songs aren’t always in tune…

Amazon links: Kindle or Paperback

From the opening chapter I knew I was in for a fun-filled read when I was snorting and cringing in equal measure reading the conversation between our heroine Honeysuckle (Honey) Jones and her close friends Tash and Nell.  As a result of an embarrassing confession that Honey makes, Tash and Nell decide that she needs to meet a pianist, as he'd be good with his hands, so they set out to set her up on a series of hilarious blind dates to rectify her 'situation'.  But could her perfect man be closer than she thinks in the shape of her new reclusive neighbour Hal?

Although the majority of the story revolved around Honey's blind dates and her interactions with new neighbour Hal, I also enjoyed reading the side story regarding the threat of closure to the charity shop she worked in and associated old peoples home.  Honey is determined to do whatever she can do to save the home for its elderly residents who were an interesting bunch of characters and I hope that I have half as much energy and conviction as some of them when I'm their age!

I really liked Honey as a character, she was fun, fiercely independent and has a heart of gold willing to help everyone which is why I enjoyed the exchanges between her and Hal from behind closed doorways in their communal hallway which led to some hilarious moments as they share their frustrations and feelings.  Hal meanwhile is a tormented man battling his own demons but once his backstory is revealed it is totally understandable why he is the way he is.  The contrast in their two personalities worked perfectly which made me want to knock their heads together to get them each to see what's in front of their own noses.

I'm not sure what it says about me that I love flawed characters such as Hal, but then again if everyone was perfect and had the perfect life then the world would be a very boring place to live in!

It's not often that I say this, as often I feel they're added for the sake of it, but although I loved the ending and how it all worked out I actually would have loved to read an epilogue to see how their romance has progressed.  But despite this one little niggle I loved The Piano Man Project, it was such a feel-good read that helped me get over my recent reading slump as I read it in two sittings over the weekend.

I'd like to thank Avon Books for this copy of The Piano Man Project which I received via NetGalley.

No comments:

Post a Comment