Monday 13 December 2021

Festive Fun with... Laura


Today it's my pleasure to welcome Laura into the spotlight for today's Festive Fun with... feature. Laura is another fellow blogger who I met a few years ago at a book event and I'm pleased that we've kept in contact ever since. 

Tell us a little bit about yourself.
My name is Laura and I live in London with my husband and 2 cats. I ride a motorbike, enjoy reading (obviously!), crafting, seeing theatre shows and I’m a big Christmas fan.

What are you most looking forward to this Christmas?
Spending time with family, just chilling out and watching festive films

Do you have any favourite family Christmas traditions?
On Christmas eve, we get fish & chips from the chip shop. We’ve done this for years, as originally, I used to wrap loads of presents on my Grandma’s behalf on Christmas eve and there wouldn’t be time to stop and cook, so someone would nip to the chippy. Now we do it in her memory and it’s a nice way to include her still.

Also we have borrowed the Icelandic tradition of exchanging books with each other. I try and alternate my choice between fiction and non fiction each year.

Boxing day (unless it’s raining), we get the BBQ out and cook pizzas on it, using the leftovers from the roast as toppings. The neighbours think we’re odd, but it’s great fun.

What is your best Christmas memory?
This is a tough one. We had some wonderful Christmases growing up. My parents always took us to my Grandparents to stay for a few days over Christmas. My Grandma cooked the dinner. I have no idea how she managed to cook for so many people in such a small kitchen. Trying to seat everyone was interesting too! Chairs and stools of all sizes were brought in. The main present unwrapping wasn’t allowed until the washing up was done and the Queen’s speech was over. Funny how everyone has different ways of how the day runs.

Describe your ideal Christmas
Just a day filled with noise, laughter, food, drink and happiness. I think the build up is a huge part of it too. Lunches with friends, seeing a panto or festive show, wearing the Christmas jumpers and Santa hats to work, maybe baking mince pies or warming some mulled wine. Watching lots of festive films.

If you could choose one person, dead or alive, to celebrate a one time special Christmas with, who would you choose and why?
I’d just love to turn back time and be able to enjoy Christmas with my Grandparents again. I miss them so much at that time of year.

What is your favourite festive book of all-time?
I couldn’t possibly just pick one! Calling Mrs Christmas by Carole Matthews was incredibly festive, but I recently read Heidi Swain’s new book, Underneath the Christmas Tree, and that was such a fabulous read. Trisha Ashley writes brilliant Christmas books too.

What Christmas book would you like to see turned into a film?
Underneath the Christmas Tree would make a great film

If you could spend Christmas with any fictional character, who would you choose and why? 
Lou Clarke from the Me Before You books. 

Do you have a favourite Christmassy cover?
There’s been some gorgeous covers over the years. Anything with sparkle on I love. I’m going to cheat slightly and say Sophie Kinsella’s Christmas Shopaholic because the Waterstones edition had candy cane printed edges and I’ve got an obsession with fancy edges at the moment.

Do you have any Christmas book traditions?
As mentioned before, we exchange books on Christmas eve. I don’t have any books that I re-read each Christmas, but I do try and read as many festive books as I can in the build up to Christmas. And I have festive bookmarks, obviously. 

What 3 books would you love Santa to have in his sack for you?
The Merry Christmas Project by Cathy Bramley
Call of the penguins by Hazel Prior
The Christmas Bookshop by Jenny Colgan

What is your favourite Christmas song?
Very few people will know it, but the radio station that I listened to when I was younger used to play it a lot. It’s called ‘Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer’ and it’s very silly! I’ve got a metal version of it on an alternative Christmas compilation, but no idea who sang the version that the radio used to play. 

What is your favourite Christmas film?
Again, it’s a niche film. Bernard & the Genie, starring Alan Cumming and Lenny Henry. It’s written by Richard Curtis and is a fantastic film with tons of cameos by 90s celebs. It was shown on the BBC in 1991 and I wish they’d show it again.

And finally, what are your hopes for 2022?
I want my friends and family to be happy and healthy. Sound simple enough, but life is never that easy.

Quick-fire questions

Roses or Quality Street? I bought a tub of each the other day! I don’t think I have a preference between those, but I do enjoy Celebrations 
Mince pies/Christmas cake or Yule log? I have discovered the joys of salted caramel crumble mince pies (Aldi) recently, so those warmed up with some cream… 
Turkey or ham? Turkey 
Brussel sprouts or roast parsnips? Not keen on either, but I can force down a couple of honey roast parsnips 
Gravy or cranberry sauce? Both! 
Fake or real Christmas tree? I’d love a real one someday, but I’ve only ever had a fake tree 
White or coloured lights? Colour! 
Giving or receiving presents? Giving. I love trying to come up with great gifts for people that they will truly enjoy.

Twitter: @GrumpyGirlie

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to say why I’d love to spend Christmas with Lou Clarke from the Me Before You books. I love her quirky style and I’m sure her festive outfit would be brilliant. She’s caring and funny and I’m sure we’d have a fabulous time.

    And I’ve discovered Bernard & the Genie is showing on Britbox at the moment. Please watch it and let me know if you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete