Sunday 10 February 2013

Guest Book Review: Katy Regan - How We Met

Reviewed by Kayla Oliver

There are some people you can’t imagine life without.

What, at the end of it all, is really important?

Liv and her friends can’t imagine a life different from now: freedom, lifelong friendships, and dreams that are still within their reach.

Then, Liv dies.

For those left behind – Mia, Fraser, Anna, Norm and Melody – everything stops. Their lives and dreams are frozen in time.

In the years that follow, they decide to meet on Liv’s birthday to raise a toast and celebrate her life, even though none of them are living their own – not really. Time marches inexorably on, and yet without Liv, the lynchpin of the group, they are all flailing. Mia and Fraser are quietly falling apart because of the secret they share and, as truths are unearthed and their friendships are tested to the limit, they have to ask themselves – is it time to get on with the business of actually living?

How We Met is the first book that I have read by Katy Regan and I have to say that I was extremely impressed. I devoured this novel in less than two days and literally abandoned housework and read it whilst eating my meals because I couldn't put it down.

The book follows a group of friends that are learning to live after a friends passing. Firstly don't think this book is going to be all doom and gloom because it deals with death it really isn't, infact it's quirky and funny at times and I did find myself having a little chuckle.This book sort of reminded me of PS I Love You by Cecelia Ahern and had similar humour to that book. The group of friends decide to take on a 'before 30 list' that Liv made before she died they set the date of her 30th birthday and all take different things from the list to accomplish for her. The list causes complications and I don't want to spoil anything for the reader but it brings out secrets and dramas within the group.


I found the characters in the book very easy to read and loved that the book flitted from past to present to give you a really good background of the characters, Katy managed from the very beginning to give you a good picture of Liv and exactly what she meant to the group.


I think this book is a brilliant read and I will be looking out for more books from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment