Friday 20 December 2013

Countdown to Christmas Day 20: My Favourite Christmas Book(s) by Liz Harris


Something a little different for you tonight as part of an extra Countdown to Christmas feature, author Liz Harris is here to talk about Christmas books.

When I told Shaz that I’d like to write about a Christmas book for her blog I’d intended to write about that definite Christmas novella, A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens, published 1843 (useful quiz knowledge!). But when it came to it, I had second thoughts. I decided that most people already knew the story of Scrooge, and it would be much more fun to find a novel that was new to me, and perhaps to Shaz’s readers, too.

So, interpreting ‘Christmas book’ to mean book set at Christmas, I began to search for a contemporary novel with a story line that was tied up with Christmas.

What I wanted: a romance; a Christmas setting; a fairly modern tone; strong characters; a 
story line that made me want to turn the page.

What I didn’t want: elves; fairies; Santa Claus, disguised or otherwise; a host of eccentric 
characters; recipes (after four lunches this out last week, my stomach needed a break!)

What I found: Sleigh Bells in the Snow, a contemporary romance by US author Sarah 
Morgan (trademark: humour and sensuality), published by Mills & Boon.

What I got: a thoroughly good, entertaining read (and a really hunky hero!).

Sleigh Bells in the Snow is the story of workaholic, Kayla Green, who goes to bed with her phone and who checks her emails during sex, who has a deep rooted hatred/fear of Christmas, and of Jackson O'Neil, her strong, handsome, caring, dishy client. The novel, which is set in snow-covered Vermont, tells how Jackson and his family help Kayla to thaw, face her past give in to the power of love and begin to live life to the full. 

OK, just from the few lines above, you know how the book’s going to end, but the journey that you take to get to the end is full of humour, great banter between the couple, fantastic descriptions of snowy scenes that really take you to Vermont, moments that are very moving, moments that are highly sensual, and you keep wanting to turn the page. By the time you reach the wonderfully romantic end of the novel, you’re really in the mood for Christmas.

Sleigh Bells in the Snow is pure escapism - a lovely romance, set in a beautiful wintery  location, that celebrates the power of the love between two people, and the power of the family. A good message for Christmas, and a good read.

Many thanks, Sharon, for allowing me to tell you and your readers about a novel they might enjoy this Christmas.

You can connect with Liz via:  

Website: 
http://www.lizharrisauthor.com
Facebook: Liz Harris
Twitter: 
@lizharrisauthor

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully, other readers will now discover Sarah's books. This was a first for me, but it won't be a last!

    ReplyDelete