Wednesday 3 August 2016

Food & Drink Month: Q&A with Sharon Atkinson

Today it's my pleasure to welcome Sharon Atkinson to the blog to take part in the foodie Q&A for this feature month.  

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself and your writing journey?
I was born and raised in East London and now I reside in Essex with my partner and step-daughter.  I have always been interested in poetry and writing in general from an early age, but only started to write properly from 2001. Since 2003 I have had 15 plus of my poems published in different anthologies including, “Poets of Greater London”, “Love in Ink”, "The Path of True Love" and “Daily Reflections 2005”, to mention but a few. These have been published via ForwardPress.

I started up a writing group in Corringham, Essex, for those with a passion of writing and to discipline myself to sit down and actually produce something I am proud of.  Now I have!  I get my inspiration and motivation to write, from the people that surround me, my friends and family.

I have just finished my first complete novel which proved challenging, but fun to write. It is a Christmas Romance with the added extra of Christmas cookie recipes at the back of the book (some have already been tried and tested).  I have already made a start on book two (which may well turn into a trilogy) and have a few more ideas for other romantic novels.  For now mum’s the word ;o)

You can find me here:
Twitter - @SharonSAtkinson
Goodreads - Sharon_Atkinson
Website – www.wordsandwoes.com


Describe your cooking style, follow recipes religiously or wing it and see how it turns out? 
It would depend on what I am cooking at the time.  For cakes, cookies and sweets,  I follow the recipe religiously, anything else, I go on when I think the food is ready.  Yes I will taste as I go along, except when it comes to certain meats.  I don’t eat red meat so I do sometimes struggle to know if it is cooked enough or not.

If you were going to apply to be a contestant on a cooking show, would it be Masterchef or Great British Bake Off? 
I think it would have to be Great British Bake off, as much as I love both shows, I think it is more the sweet factor.  My partner asks me all the time, if I was on Come Dine With Me, what would I cook?  Truth is, not sure I can handle the people being somewhat two-faced. I can handle if they don’t like my food, everyone has different tastes, but would not be able to handle the judging of me and my home.

You're planning a dinner party, which 5 people (dead or alive) would you invite?  
I didn’t realise how hard this one would be, once I said a name and got it to five, there were more names flying at me that I would like to attend.  I may have to have another one ;o).  Here are my first choices:
Stephen King – For the darker side of dinner and to see how his mind works.
Doris Day – My hero and maybe some after dinner entertainment.
Morgan Freeman – Who couldn’t listen to that soft velvet voice all night long?
Pam Ayres – Another hero of mine.  The reason I actually write today, and you certainly need that comedic effect at a dinner party.
Ben Matthews – My personal eye candy, guitarist from my favourite band, Thunder.  The one I am waiting for.  Maybe my cooking might win his heart ;o)  Shhhhh, don’t tell my other half…

It's your last day on earth, what 3 course meal would you choose?
Far too much choice to choose from.  I think I would have to go for the following:
Starter – Garlic mushrooms
Main – I think it would have to be a roast pork dinner with crispy crackling – home comfort cooking.
Dessert – Chocolate fudge cake with either vanilla ice-cream or fresh cream

What's your favourite dish to cook? 
Tough one.  I would say it is out of two dishes that I cook.  The first would be my version of a shepherds pie.  I call it “Pig Sty Pie” as I make it with pork mince.  Pork or chicken stock, I throw in some shopped mushrooms and onions and the mash topping, is more of a cheese and potato pie with more cheese on top for the golden finish, served with mixed veg.


My second dish would have to be my Christmas dinner.  Roast Turkey and Roast Pork, crispy roast potatoes, roasted parsnips and carrots, stuffing balls, pigs in blankets, Brussel sprouts with chopped bacon, chestnuts and a touch of turmeric, peas, and I know it’s not tradition but a Yorkshire pudding.

And now for a few quickfire questions to finish ;-)

Gordon Ramsay or Marco Pierre White? Gordon Ramsey
Paul Hollywood or Mary Berry? Mary Berry
Sweet or Savoury? Sweet
Steak or Lobster? Lobster
Profiteroles or Crumble? Profiteroles

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for inviting me to do this. It was so much fun, even if one or two of the questions were a little tough.

    ReplyDelete